Getting to know her....

Ida

I guess one of the hardest part of being a new Desert tortoise owner, for me, is learning her personality and daily routine. It's been pretty nice here in Phoenix averaging the 80s, she comes out for little while has not really ate that much and then goes back behind her Bougainvillea. This is her out this morning in the sun by the hedgehog. ImageUploadedByTortForum1394905922.635470.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

derrianflores

Thank you . So its normal for her to be sleeping alot right ?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ida

A mixture of green leaves and strawberries. The yard has hibiscus plants and other flower plants. I have not given any supplements not familiar with that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have not given any supplements not familiar with that.

Supplemental food offerings are food items that you give the tortoise vs the tortoise foraging on their own items that are growing naturally on the ground....:D ex. items from market and such, folks do this to supplement the diet if the natural growing food is not available or not sufficient...

Ida

Thank you for the help. I put in her dish different green lettuce types, grapes and strawberries....is that considered supplement? Fresh water each day to. When people on here refer to grazing, is that just eating and go or like in the grass eating longtime ( I hope that makes sense). My yard is part grass and rock, (where she lives) I thought she would like the grass but she stays in the rocks the most.

Ida

She's was out and about in the yard today. Ate some different things around the yard and also lettuce/fruit I had in her dish. She looks good [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Grass is a good staple for the tort....I would save the fruit items for treats, their digestive system is not designed to process sugary items as readily as dark leafy greens/grass/flowers/leaves and the like....

Grazing, when I say this I refer to the tort having free will to walk and nibble on the growing grass/plants in their enclosed yard...the human just adds the necessary water to maintain the carpet of food....:D

Ida

I understand thank you....Ok I'll back off on the strawberries. Appreciate the feedback. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] have a nice day [FOUR LEAF CLOVER]

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Ida said:
I understand thank you....Ok I'll back off on the strawberries. Appreciate the feedback. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] have a nice day [FOUR LEAF CLOVER]

Actually, if you want to give her a more natural fruit treat, try cactus fruit, since you are in our great state of ye ole desert landscaping. They should be coming into mature fruit within a month or two. Be careful of the small spines/thorns on the fruit. You can harvest (use gloves), lightly singe the spines off, cut up and feed as a treat. My old man is hit and miss, but usually he likes them. Also, dandilion weeds are great treats and can be found in abundance this time of year. Just be careful with weeds you pull from somewhere other than your yard to limit the risk of exposure to chemilcals.

Ida

Thanks Arnold_rules [THUMBS UP SIGN] I was going to check into that today and see what I can find, and yes I'll be very careful [CACTUS] I welcome all the suggestions.

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Reno, Nevada
She is beautiful. My tort loves hibiscus flowers and leaves. The flowers would fall down on the grass but I would pick the leaves for her as they were too high to reach. Also I would dip the flowers/leaves in water for extra hydration. She's doing fine.[TURTLE]