Giving my sulcata antibiotic injections

SafariWoman

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I feel your pain. My whole business has been shut down since May, yet we've still had to pay all the bills. I haven't been this broke since college. The strike dragged on for so long that half the business has just sort of shrugged their shoulders as if to say, "Meh... we'll just start up again in the new year..." December is usually our busiest month, but its looking bleak right now.
Tom,
I don't mean to be nosey, but what kind of business are you in? I know your profile says "dog trainer" but you're so knowledgeable about tortoises, I thought maybe it was an inside joke. You all seem to know so much about each other, and I'm pretty new to the forum, but I'm just curious. My other nosey question is to ask Yvonne how old she is. She has so much good, old fashioned common sense, I love to read her posts as well. I admire all of you and find your knowledge and information invaluable. I hope you don't take this question as offensive. If so, you can just tell me to mind my own business. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this question here. I know it's not relative to the topic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom,
I don't mean to be nosey, but what kind of business are you in? I know your profile says "dog trainer" but you're so knowledgeable about tortoises, I thought maybe it was an inside joke. You all seem to know so much about each other, and I'm pretty new to the forum, but I'm just curious. My other nosey question is to ask Yvonne how old she is. She has so much good, old fashioned common sense, I love to read her posts as well. I admire all of you and find your knowledge and information invaluable. I hope you don't take this question as offensive. If so, you can just tell me to mind my own business. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this question here. I know it's not relative to the topic.
I train animals for the film industry. The writers went on strike May 2nd, and then the actors followed them a bit later. Both strikes lasted for several months, and most productions have just written off the whole year now. It will be about 8 months with almost no work at the end of this month. We all hope things will return to normal in the new year.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I train animals for the film industry. The writers went on strike May 2nd, and then the actors followed them a bit later. Both strikes lasted for several months, and most productions have just written off the whole year now. It will be about 8 months with almost no work at the end of this month. We all hope things will return to normal in the new year.

out of curiosity, was there no commercials work for you during that time? For some reason i would have assumed you do a lot of commercials...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
out of curiosity, was there no commercials work for you during that time? For some reason i would have assumed you do a lot of commercials...
Almost none. Normally we do a lot of commercials and that has carried us through previous strikes with minimal effect on our income, but not this time. Everything died. And most commercials still have actors, so that took out a bunch of them that might have gone otherwise. It has been bleak.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Almost none. Normally we do a lot of commercials and that has carried us through previous strikes with minimal effect on our income, but not this time. Everything died. And most commercials still have actors, so that took out a bunch of them that might have gone otherwise. It has been bleak.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope January brings you many superbowl commercials...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom,

Don't let her demeanor fool you - wait till you find out about her Harley days, and 'borrowing' her father's car.

SafariWoman

Illinois

Thank you for answering my question. That must be a fascinating profession. I knew of the strike but never thought about its effect on animal actors or their trainers. I hope everything returns to normal for you very soon. I now fully appreciate all the time and effort you put into explaining proper tortoise care, etc. We recently completed our indoor winter sulcata house thanks to your excellent step by step instructions. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and years of experience.

SafariWoman

Illinois
Don't let her demeanor fool you - wait till you find out about her Harley days, and 'borrowing' her father's car.
Maybe I'd better not ask. If she's a moderator, she may boot me off the forum. However, I'm even more curious now that you mention Harley's and Dad's car.

SafariWoman

Illinois
@Yvonne G is a legend - legends are ageless
I agree with you. I just became a sulcata owner last year when I found this "creature" eating grass in my back yard. Didn't even know what a Sulcata was or where it came from. I'm 65 and didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I'm glad I did. I can relate when I read her posts saying her recliner and Kindle are calling to her, but she has her critters to tend to.