Going to need a bigger door!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Well, when I built this, I thought I'd allowed plenty of room for a full grown sulcata. I'm used to seeing a large male about 110 - 120 lbs. Crush is still growing fast and over 185 lbs now. I hatched him in 1999 - so he's almost 20 now. Diego is sitting in front and a more normal adult male. He hatched in 1991 and is now 105 lbs.

Their night house is made of concrete block on the outside - so expanding the door will mean breaking out the old concrete saw! I made the door 25" wide by 18" tall. I thought that was plenty!!! I already made the door a bit taller on the other side that was in the opening section. But he squeezes through this side. Has to scoot as he can't walk and make it out on this side.

IMG_0673.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought the same thing when I built Dudley's shed. I made the door 2' wide and I can't remember how tall. He doesn't have much room width wise, and he scrapes his carapace on the top going in and out. Hm-m-m-m-m. . . sounds like a job for my tortoise partner next time he comes up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is he a regular sulcata or a Sudan?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ummm yeah he needs a bigger door. What in the heck you feeding that big boy. Lol.
Handsome fella though.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is he a regular sulcata or a Sudan?

Don’t really know

I got the parents as imports directly from Niger. No telling where they were collected from and then transported to Niger for export. Could have come from or perhaps near Sudan or had Sudan blood. They both were a bit on the large side but have no idea how old they were. They both looked on the young adult side when I got them here. Downsized and got rid of them a long time ago now. No idea where they are.

This guy has all the Sudan characteristics with a very high and rounded profile compared to my others.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What beautiful sullies you have. Nice job!

Reactions: EMC

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow! And how do you keep your lawn in such a great shape? I lay new sod every year which mine would manage to destory in 6mo...
The grass stays pretty nice in there year round. They certainly keep it mowed down and fairly short. I do always have hay available as well. They do constantly graze several hours each day. I do stay on top of the grass condition and water frequently though out the day in the summer.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Wow! And how do you keep your lawn in such a great shape? I lay new sod every year which mine would manage to destory in 6mo...
6 months?!! Mine eats all the grass - from the roots - in 2 days! I have a dirt yard and seed multiple times each summer.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Well, when I built this, I thought I'd allowed plenty of room for a full grown sulcata. I'm used to seeing a large male about 110 - 120 lbs. Crush is still growing fast and over 185 lbs now. I hatched him in 1999 - so he's almost 20 now. Diego is sitting in front and a more normal adult male. He hatched in 1991 and is now 105 lbs.

Their night house is made of concrete block on the outside - so expanding the door will mean breaking out the old concrete saw! I made the door 25" wide by 18" tall. I thought that was plenty!!! I already made the door a bit taller on the other side that was in the opening section. But he squeezes through this side. Has to scoot as he can't walk and make it out on this side.

View attachment 268614
Can I ask what that water dish is made of?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club