Golden Baby PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I just acquired 2 beautiful CB 2008 Golden Greek hatchlings this week. Testudo graeca terrestris. It was a great deal. The breeder gave me the one on the right for free! It has multiple split scutes while the one on the left has one split scute. Otherwise, they are very healthy.

Don't worry Danny, I still want a couple of yours when you have more! :D

GoldenGreek3.jpg

GoldenGreek2.jpg

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Great looking little guys Patman. Can't wait to see future pictures of them as they develop. I am really interested in more information about how babies develop patterning or potentially lose patterning.

Congrats on your new additions.

Paul

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They look great Patrick :D and I'm not worried :p

Lil' Tortie I have never seen true Golden greeks for under $100.

Paul I've not had any of my hatchlings lose color. They always gain color and more pattern on the carapace as they mature. All the soft parts stay the same yellow color though. It's probably because they aren't as hot as they would be in the wild. The hotter they are the less melanin they produce.

Danny

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
egyptiandan said:
They look great Patrick :D and I'm not worried :p

Lil' Tortie I have never seen true Golden greeks for under $100.

Paul I've not had any of my hatchlings lose color. They always gain color and more pattern on the carapace as they mature. All the soft parts stay the same yellow color though. It's probably because they aren't as hot as they would be in the wild. The hotter they are the less melanin they produce.

Danny

That is fascinating Danny. So in theory similar to the captive pardalis. Are your animals all somewhat patterned or do you also keep some of the near patternless animals? I'm curious to know if all the hatchlings start life with some contrast, possibly as a defensive camouflage and then later lose it as they develop into subadulthood.

Paul

delicious

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
These are very beautiful and look very healthy indeed!

Do breeders only sell hatchlings/juvenlies or do they also sell adults? :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Why do the irregular scutes make them less valuable? Are there other problems that can arise from what caused them?

Status
Not open for further replies.