"Goldie"

adc100

Location (City and/or State)
Elizabethtown
The name of my new Eastern Box Turtle. Female about 7 y.o. about 4 inches in length. Saved her from probable death on a road.

I am 77 years old.

In my youth I had around 18 turtles in a very large outdoor pen. So I am pretty experienced. I have her about 2 weeks and she has not eaten. She has drunk water. I know from past experience they just need time and familiarity with new surroundings. She is pretty tame already. When I pick her up after a short time she will stiick her neck and allow me to rub my forefinger in the area between her neck and front leg. They like that.

I have offerred her fruit, moistened turtle food and cat food. But again..she will eat when ready.

I intend to keep her indoors in a dedicated pen which will be 6 sq. feet. I will post when its done and will be looking for advice in winter captvity. UltimatelyI would like to breed her and eventually set her free in a pllace far far from a road.

Al
IMG-6705.jpg

IMG-6748.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
welcome!

(Not a good idea to release a turtle or tortoise that has been captive. . . plus, it's against state regulations).

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am pushing 75, so don't think age matters! And some folks here are even older🙄

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It works have been kinder to have
The name of my new Eastern Box Turtle. Female about 7 y.o. about 4 inches in length. Saved her from probable death on a road.

I am 77 years old.

In my youth I had around 18 turtles in a very large outdoor pen. So I am pretty experienced. I have her about 2 weeks and she has not eaten. She has drunk water. I know from past experience they just need time and familiarity with new surroundings. She is pretty tame already. When I pick her up after a short time she will stiick her neck and allow me to rub my forefinger in the area between her neck and front leg. They like that.

I have offerred her fruit, moistened turtle food and cat food. But again..she will eat when ready.

I intend to keep her indoors in a dedicated pen which will be 6 sq. feet. I will post when its done and will be looking for advice in winter captvity. UltimatelyI would like to breed her and eventually set her free in a pllace far far from a road.

Al
IMG-6705.jpg

IMG-6748.jpg
Nice to save but really it should of been left to its outdoor world and freedom. My view is if it was in danger lift it up and move it out if danger and drive on.

Reactions: Ink

adc100

Elizabethtown
It works have been kinder to have

Nice to save but really it should of been left to its outdoor world and freedom. My view is if it was in danger lift it up and move it out if danger and drive on.

welcome!

(Not a good idea to release a turtle or tortoise that has been captive. . . plus, it's against state regulations).
I actually found another today. I plan on taking them to the Avery Wildlife Conservation Lab Penn State University. And it is illegal to keep them but not to release them. Where did you find that information? Eastern Box Turtle

adc

ELIZABETHTOWN
welcome!

Well I just released her. I truly hated to do it. I had her about 2 1/2 months. Released her in a state gameland area. She will have to go miles to get on a road. Streams near by. If I find another I will take (hopefully him) to the same area. I feel good to set her free.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well I just released her. I truly hated to do it. I had her about 2 1/2 months. Released her in a state gameland area. She will have to go miles to get on a road. Streams near by. If I find another I will take (hopefully him) to the same area. I feel good to set her free.
The danger isn't the turtle getting hit by a car.
The danger is that a turtle that's been under human care can introduce pathogens back into the wild population that can kill dozens of other turtles when released.
It's ALWAYS better to leave the animal alone. Or to interact with it as little as is necessary to get it out of perceived danger.
(I realize that your intentions were good)

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's a tough call, letting her go. I feel for you.....I know. There are plenty of folks here though who can point you towards another if you are looking?

Welcome, you should stick around......

jeff

adc

ELIZABETHTOWN
That's a tough call, letting her go. I feel for you.....I know. There are plenty of folks here though who can point you towards another if you are looking?

Welcome, you should stick around......

jeff
I certainly will. It seemed impossible to Buy6 an Eastern Box Turtle. I bought a Russian

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Congrats on owning a Russian, do you know how old it is? You mentioned you were 77, do you have someone who will be able to care for it down the road?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Congrats on owning a Russian, do you know how old it is? You mentioned you were 77, do you have someone who will be able to care for it down the road?
🤔 Hmmmm. And just what ROAD would that be?