Good breeders?

Rachael403

Location (City and/or State)
NE, USA
I am considering at some point this summer adopting a cooter and a Mississippi map turtle. They are on my bucket list. Could anyone give me an idea where to go that would be reputable? I don't mind baby hatchlings, but I would be fine with a couple a little older... 3-4 inches would actually be perfect. Ideas?

Rachael403

NE, USA
I'll look forward to hearing back from them. Thanks @welligton! I have planning to do before adding them, so I'm in no rush to hear back. :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Any thoughts as to why you wanted a Mississippi Map in particular? There are so many species in the Graptemys genes, some better suited for captivity than others, for different reasons. Mississippis are great, so I am not trying to deter you, but I was just wondering.

Do you plan to keep the animal by itself?

Rachael403

NE, USA
After talking more about this subject with my spouse and thinking about it, I am very hesitant about mixing multiple species of turtles in the same tank. We have decided to play it safe and get another RES (female) so we have two RES and two Painted turtles. I think it would be the best way to go.

I was particularly drawn to the Mississippi Map's because I really think they are awesome looking, also was under the impression that they could get along with my current turtles. I know that this doesn't always happen that animals coexist peacefully. But once again, I probably had the wool over my eyes after years of research and learning the wrong information.

When you said that there are others that are more suitable for captivity, that was the end of that pipe dream. I did wildlife rehab and I know how stressful it is on animals to be confined, even if its for short periods of time, and I would not want to make a commitment for the next 50 years to a turtle that was miserable.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
After talking more about this subject with my spouse and thinking about it, I am very hesitant about mixing multiple species of turtles in the same tank. We have decided to play it safe and get another RES (female) so we have two RES and two Painted turtles. I think it would be the best way to go.

I was particularly drawn to the Mississippi Map's because I really think they are awesome looking, also was under the impression that they could get along with my current turtles. I know that this doesn't always happen that animals coexist peacefully. But once again, I probably had the wool over my eyes after years of research and learning the wrong information.

When you said that there are others that are more suitable for captivity, that was the end of that pipe dream. I did wildlife rehab and I know how stressful it is on animals to be confined, even if its for short periods of time, and I would not want to make a commitment for the next 50 years to a turtle that was miserable.

He wasn't saying that Mississippi maps are difficult to keep in captivity. He was saying that other, smaller maps can be better/easier keepers. Same way that there are turtles that are better suited to captivity than RES and Painteds. If you do decide to get another RES, you should consider adopting one. Tons of them in shelters and probably on this forum that need new homes. Come to think of it, you could have some of mine if you'd like:).

Rachael403

NE, USA
I agree that size can definitely be a factor when deciding on a turtle to commit to. With as huge as my RES and Painted get, I was concerned about getting a smaller sized turtle in the fear that they may be picked on by current turtles if it was smaller.

I would be interested in adopting a RES or two from you. I always like knowing that the turtles are getting the proper care. I'll send you a message. I would not buy a RES- they are super over populated!

Rachael403

NE, USA
Just a little update. We were planning on getting another RES turtle at some point, but my awesome wife surprised me with a 4in eastern painted turtle today! I will post pictures soon.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pm me your information. I have six baby red ear sliders you can have . But I'm all the way in Texas . I know ship your reptile will handle the shipping part . You pay for that the turtle or turtles will be free . The yellow one isn't for sale or going anywhere.lol

Attachments

• 1499492126350.jpg
    1499492126350.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 13

Adam Gonzales

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Does anyone know a good and trusted Reeves breeder, or a place to buy from? So far I've come across my turtle store.

Thanks.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Hello,

Does anyone know a good and trusted Reeves breeder, or a place to buy from? So far I've come across my turtle store.

Thanks.

Lots of CB Reeves for sale on the Facebook Turtle/Tortoise Classifieds. Think Garden State has some too.