Good day and thank you

JDW

Good day forum members. I want to start by thanking you for providing me with so much helpful information over the years. I've learned much from forum members and decided that it's time to start contributing. I live in Northern Utah and keep marginated tortoises. Of all the larger tortoise species, the marginated is best suited for our hot summers and cold winters (and beautiful Spring/Fall weather). I'm currently raising my first baby marginated and have been experimenting with a closed-chamber set-up. I'll post some of my experiences and questions in the enclosure section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

@tglazie is another aficionado of the marginated tortoise. I've learned a lot from reading his posts.

Looking forward to learning about them from you too.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Welcome to the forum, JDW. Good to hear from a fellow margie enthusiast. Looking forward to hearing your closed chamber experience. After many years of raising baby margies, I inevitably settled on the Chris Leone method of rearing. Interestingly, I stumbled on it quite by accident. Early on in my efforts at making youngsters and raising those hatched by others, I was having more losses than I would like to admit. Noticing they were getting dehydrated, I started soaking them twice per day. Many of them would also sleep outside of their shelters, so I started bringing them indoors during the evening, placing them in covered rubbermaid containers with moistened soil in the bottom. Survival rates for my kiddos shot to 100% after adoption of these methods, and I haven't engaged another method since. It wasn't until I happened upon the forum that I started to find others who had achieved similar results using a variation of this method with the various Testudo species, and it wasn't until I read many of Tom's posts regarding pyramiding that the whole thing started making sense to me, where some of the why, not just the how, started becoming clear. If there's one thing I've learned over the years of keeping tortoises, it is that there are many facets to keeping that can sustain multiple approaches, and given the success of the closed chamber method with many tropical tortoises, I'm curious as to how it will work with a temperate species.

T.G.