Good news and bad,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
easter2012004.jpg

Mostly bad news. I was very pleased with the hatching forstenii last Friday. I was even happier when the 2nd ova, marked A 12/5, started hatching. Though on Sunday hatchling A was dead. Had got its head and leg stuck in the small hole it had made. Hatchling B is alive and well.
Then to continue on the path of embryonic death, those other two eggs in the photo contain dead tortoises. My vet and I are trying to get this problem resolved. Recap from last year about 12 late term deaths in my forstenii, only about 4 healthy animals produced.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry for you bad news. Hope you and your vet can get it figured out. Hope the one that made it continues doing good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sorry to year of your losses....hope all turns around as well as your little fighter continue to do well...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear, I don't know if you have explored this yet, but I have found that the gas exchange is usually not good when there are late term deaths like that. Co2 is usually to high, do you have any type of readings for that?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sorry to hear about the deaths. I know all too well about embryonic deaths. I know it is natural for some not to survive, but I too continually analyze the situation and look for improvements. The stress and heartbreak of incubating tortoise eggs!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tim/Robin said:
Sorry to hear about the deaths. I know all too well about embryonic deaths. I know it is natural for some not to survive, but I too continually analyze the situation and look for improvements. The stress and heartbreak of incubating tortoise eggs!

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.