Goodbye Toomer Oaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Rolling Toomers Oaks is an Auburn University tradition that started in the early 1890's, when Toomer Drug Store only had a telegraph to tell if the team won its away games, after the workers got tired of telling passerby's if they won or not, they decided to just roll the oak trees for all to see, which were left there when Auburn was built, a tradition was born. So with every Auburn win, fans would roll the tree. Unfortunately the trees were poisoned by an Alabama fan, for really no reason what so ever with a powerful herbicide, the trees could not be saved. Today is the day the trees were cut down, the atmosphere was that of a funeral. Many cannot understand why the Auburn Family was and still is upset and mourning over the loss of two trees. These trees are a part of the Auburn Family, they are the grandparents to our family, always being a symbol of strength that looks and watches over everyone who walked through Auburn University halls. To the freshman taking their first bumbling lost steps in the labyrinth that is Haily Center, to the proud walk of the senior, walking across the stage to receive their diploma, every grand event in the students lives has always been marked with pictures of the trees, which future generations will never get to experience. The trees shall be missed dearly, here are some pictures, all taken by the Auburn University Photography Services.

The Trees before being poisoned.
56321510152252326390021.jpg

The trees a few months before being cut down, they have wasted away.
55606710152250336275021.jpg

A-Day, the last day the Auburn Family was able to roll the trees, there was a huge turn out. I was lucky enough to get close and roll the trees one last time.
54747310152365273765021.jpg

The trunk of one of the trees after being cut down.
52771015236980309002157.jpg

Here is a link to a live cam of the corner and a nice article with it.
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/04/auburn_oaks_at_toomers_corner.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
People disgust me. Who would destroy such an amazing centuries old landmark for something so petty? Despicable.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Harvey Updike, the man who poisoned the trees claimed it was because we rolled a statue of some great Alabama coach who had passed away, but a reporter dug into some records and found that on the day of the anniversary of his death the Auburn Family mourned with the Alabama family over the death. The man also went behind some gas station and beat himself up and claimed an Auburn fan did it to postpone his trial.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not shed a tear if Harvey suffered the same fate as these trees.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with both of Toms threads. That's why I love animals. There are too many people that just disgust me to no end. I hope they can do something fantastic with some of the wood from the trees. That is a really neat tradition, sad that its gone.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
They are making plaques or something from their wood that you can buy, proceeds go to a scholarship fund that was made in their memory.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh good God. This is horrific. My heart totally breaks for these trees and their heritage. This is so barbaric an act. That Alabama fan should get the full penalty of law for destroying so much history, past and future. Sorry. Harvey Updike I hate you from way over here in California. Unacceptable. People can really suck.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
One last goodbye(if correct that is our dean)
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366758334.449507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Walked past the place they used to be. The whole area felt empty and naked and just depressing over all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know you said they are going to make plaques or something out of the wood. Are they going to do some kind of memorial in the spot where the trees were? That would be a nice thing if they did.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
They are going to put two new oaks that Alabama uni gave us after we declared the trees cannot be saved.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
This is just heart breaking!!!!
I wonder sometimes what our world is comming to.
Very sorry to hear this.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Unfortunately it will take awhile to plan them. Harvey used 10x the lethal dosage to kill each tree, so all the soil has to be removed from there and then the trees planted and some years for the trees to establish themselves before they can be rolled again.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh good God. This is horrific. My heart totally breaks for these trees and their heritage. This is so barbaric an act. That Alabama fan should get the full penalty of law for destroying so much history, past and future. Sorry. Harvey Updike I hate you from way over here in California. Unacceptable. People can really suck.

Sadly, the repercussions for poisoning a couple of stately old trees will likely be relatively light...a fine and probation or similar...if even that!

Likely classified as "vandalism". :(

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Terry Allan Hall said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

Sadly, the repercussions for poisoning a couple of stately old trees will likely be relatively light...a fine and probation or similar...if even that!

Likely classified as "vandalism". :(

He has half a year to spend in jail. Maybe a hardcore auburn fan and inmate will visit him in jail.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Perhaps he should a least pay for total replacement of trees (even though donated) and soil both with monetary and sweat equity. People such as these sicken me with no concept of value monetary or historic or emotional.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Itort said:
Perhaps he should a least pay for total replacement of trees (even though donated) and soil both with monetary and sweat equity. People such as these sicken me with no concept of value monetary or historic or emotional.

Have the little (fecal remnant) dig out all the bad soil, and replace it w/ clean soil...and all by shovel! Chained, via a leg shackle, to the stump of whichever was the larger, so folks can watch him and laugh at him.

That comes closer to an appropo consequence! :cool:

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Terry Allan Hall said:
Itort said:

Have the little (fecal remnant) dig out all the bad soil, and replace it w/ clean soil...and all by shovel! Chained, via a leg shackle, to the stump of whichever was the larger, so folks can watch him and laugh at him.

That comes closer to an appropo consequence! :cool:

Forget the shovel, I am thinking baby spoon, then have the contaminated soil used to build his jail cell.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Ithi is horrific and terrible. Why would people be so cruel and, well, I can't even think of another word to another living thing that did NOTHING to them? It makes no sense whatsoever!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.