Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
After our thread on pocket gophers the other day, I did some research and made a few calls. My backyard is now gopher free. I highly recommend everyone get themselves a Rodenator R1.

Before watching the video, go to iTunes and cue up "I'm Alright" by Kenny Loggins. You only need the free 30 second snippet version.

View My Video

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Well, I think you took care of that little problem!!! That was hilarious!!!! Do you ever scare your wife with some of the things you do? Or did she know the job was dangerous when she took it? :p

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hahahaha...You should of hired me! Imagine it....Me on the roof of a kennel with a pellet gun with a scope (w/silencer)... Alvin wont know what hit him..

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
You've cheated yourself out of one of my favorite passtimes! I have a sweet Marlin 22 rifle, and the bullets for that thing are heat-seeking, I swear. I've never hunted anything else, but when I lived in Montana, hunting gophers in my lower pastures was so much fun I had to set myself a daily limit! I also had a large orange tom cat who harvested gophers, and even my daughter's Haflinger gelding got one once in a while (the really dumb ones who pop their heads up just as the large hoof of a heavy pony clips across the gopher hole).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great big green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts...

Seemed a bit of an overkill and hard on the landscaping to me. :rolleyes::p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Great big green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts...

No, the gophers are hard on the landscaping. I just filled in the holes and channels and the grass will grow back over it in a few weeks. No one will ever know... unless they watched that video...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well he was back the next day in the same spot. So I blew him up again. Didn't see him yesterday, but this morning there he was again. I was about to go get some TNT!!! I had a trap sitting there, brand new in the box, so I gave it a go. Wham!!! Three hours later and I got me a dead gopher. After a stint in the freezer he will be monitor lizard food now. The trap is made by Victor and its called "The Black Box". I bought it at OSH for about $20. It sat there on the shelf for weeks because I didn't really think it would work. I'm SOOOOOOO glad I was wrong.

The Rodenator is still a whole lot of fun though.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
Jacqui said:

No, the gophers are hard on the landscaping.

Perfect answer... They are rough on landscaping. My father in law fights with them all the time, and so does my grandma. I'm gonna have to make this suggestion.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the gopher survived that? ! we have a bad problem right now.. i keep twisting my ankles in the uneven ground.
so this trap.. do you set it down the hole? i dont wnat my dogs to get stuck...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
the gopher survived that? ! we have a bad problem right now.. i keep twisting my ankles in the uneven ground.
so this trap.. do you set it down the hole? i dont wnat my dogs to get stuck...

Yes the little SOB survived TWO assassination attempts. But he's in my freezer now.

The trap is really easy and safe. You have to wait for some fresh digging on the gopher's part and then you just set the trap and semi-bury it in the hole. At the end of the trap is a little hole and when the gopher tries to plug the hole he trips the trap and WHAM!, monitor lizard food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TylerStewart said:
What's the function of the freezer if it's scheduled to be monitor food?

Storage until I need it AND a couple of weeks at subzero temps will kill any parasites.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
Storage until I need it AND a couple of weeks at subzero temps will kill any parasites.

Yeah, I figured the parasite thing, just not sure how long I could look at a gopher in the freezer for. I guess you have rats anyways. I haven't had frozen rodents in my freezer for a few years now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well he's in an opaque bag. I don't have to look at him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.