Got a softie today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
AHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP CRAP CRAP Low rider has foam coming from some place his mouth or nose and his plastron in concave now!!!!!!!!!

I AM FREAKING................... He did so good today, wondering around and even eating grass!!! My hub even called me at work because HE was so excited!

My yard is totally tortie safe has been for a long time, so I know he didn't eat anything, could he just be over heated? He has plenty of shade and water ............ I am soaking him now............... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yvonne!!!!!!! Maggie!!!!!!!! Somebody!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Yvonne came to the rescue, guessing he over heated. Seems to be doing better now. Plastron is still concave. Not looking so good, I am sad......... I just got 42 more gray hairs........

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sounds like overheating to me.........if he spiked and then came back getting better.....take a breath dear......just keep him hydrated to try to counter the spike :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad you got an answer, soaked him and he is better except for the concaving.
Hang onto the good stuff: he was very active today...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks guys, we had a freak fest for about 45 minutes! Both Low Rider and I are doing better. :p Mostly me! LOL!!

I am trying to feed him now, hope that goes well, that was some scary crap a little while ago.

It's much cooler today 93 when it happened so I have no idea why, he was totally kicking in the shade. This is one of the reasons why I check my torties every 5 minutes! UGH! I need a cocktail!!!

Angela, I almost called you!!!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
lynnedit said:
That isn't as hot. He may just not be very good at self regulating yet.

That's what surprised me! We are being SOOOOOO careful, I totally understand his fragile state. Yvonne mentioned poison or overheating, and poison is completely out of the question!

It's hotter under his MVB than outside!! Crazy!

I am somewhat prepared that he may not make it, but we are not giving up on him just yet! :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Sorry guys for not updating! It means alot to me that your guys asked about him. :D

Low Rider is doing GREAT!!!!! YAY!!!! His plastron is flat again, he still does his air biting. The sides of his plastron have gotten harder, the middle part is still like jello and dark in color. Dude is a little fighter!!! May have to rename him Rocky Balboa!! He has been eating about 1 mazuri nugget each day. I have not seen him drink, but my hub says he has.

Thanks for all the well wishes, you guys are the bestest!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
remember the shell is gonna take time to see improvements.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Update on Low Rider: He is doing great eating an entire mazuri nugget and today he had 1 bite of rose petal and some garden lettuce I grow!! Tons more active, but no more poo....unless I have missed it but I am always checking for it.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So glad he's doing better! Poor little guy has been through a lot. I hope you get to keep him after all this TLC.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Just read through this thread for the first time. Wow! Seems like you are doing a great job. Little guy seems like a fighter. Good luck!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks guys!! Yep the little dude is a fighter, I hope when he makes it thru this that there is not any long terms effects.

Still does the air biting. I don't think he is blind. Coordination or a nervous system problem, but heck, I have no idea what I talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.