Got a softie today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Yes!!! He is doing really, really well!!! Who knows what the long terms effects will be but you will never guess what popped up this weekend....... drum roll please.......... HIS VERY FIRST GROWTH LINE!!!! YAH BABY!!! He has a small black growth line around all of his scutes, it's not much, but it's there!!!

He still eats funky, so I am still hand feeding. :D I am a happy camper!! His owner asked me if I was getting attached, I told her of course!!! I maybe keeping him hehehehehehehee....... She is very interested in what she can change to make things better, she told me to write everything down, and she means everything!! Yayyyyy, don't have to have a "talk" :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Low Rider is awesome!!! Thanks so much for asking!!! His shell is no longer flat as it was and he has a nice dark GROWTH line!! Woot, woot!!! There is still one small section that still has alot of give, but the outer edge is hard as a button! I will post pictures tomorrow, I have been working crazy hours.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great news. I hope you get to keep him and that the original owner has made some changes for her other torts....

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
lynnedit said:
Great news. I hope you get to keep him and that the original owner has made some changes for her other torts....

I agree too, we were talking yesterday and I told her I wanted to see the others!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mary Anne, I juist read this thread....wow! You HAVE to keep him now after you did such a wonderful job with him.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Terryo and lynnedit!!

I will post a picture tomorrow. He hangs out with Penny, they are similiar in size. Tucker and Squirt are HUGE BULLDOZERS, and baby Marley is quickly catching up to them. Penny is still little. I think he is much happier sleeping and hanging out with the others! The new growth lines are showing that he has a very slight ridge from the scutes, to the new growth lines. I wonder what her others look like, and if there is any pyramiding on them. Low Rider just never grew at all, maybe because he can't eat normally :( I hand feed him everyday. He looks like a grumpy old man! Cute nonetheless!!

ascott said:
I agree with TerryO.... keep him keep him kidnap I mean keep him :D LOL

So what is the private message, fellow pants peeing, hunk stealing friend up to tonight?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is a special, cute tenacious dude....Mary Anne I have the two redfoots that I adopted and the little girl (?) one still is an air biter as well....but she has spirit for sure :D

uh, hunk stealing friend, pm? "depends" on what you are referring tooooo ??? hmmmmmm :p:p:p:p:p LOL

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Just finished reading this through...and WOW! You are a hero for this little dude. :D
I really hope you end up keeping him; I think it would be foolish for your co-worker to make any other decision. Seriously- you saved him!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Why do you think she does that? It's crazy, if food is in front of him he just can't seem to bite it. I don't think he is blind, he gets around too well. But I watch everyday and I can't figure it out. I do let him practice a little everyday, maybe he will land something and actually bite it!! I even make the pile quite tall, so he has a chance!! LOL!! Dude bite straight in front of you, nope he bites to the right and up high, crazy!

I read the rest of the posts the next morning and I am really lucky I was done with my coffee, you guys had me totally cracking up. Figures, I dream about PJ's and not hunky men or even torties, poor Mary Anne she needs to get out more. Maybe it's because I am surrounded by 5 year olds day in a day out, PJ's are exciting!! Tortie PJ's would be cool!!! LOL!!! Now everyone thinks we have a bladder control problem! **SIGH** Dean's depend picture just about did me in, I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt!!! But, really that was a ton of fun and I have not laughed that much in a long time!! It was a good time for sure!! We need to do that more often!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hahaha...I did not see the Depends pic until the next morning...LMAO soooooo hard...loved it !!!!!

My little RF bites up and to the right LOL....I think that it was a calcium deficiency from the start...if the body has to use up calcium from the bones because it is not getting a ready supply of it then the body suffers during the growing time ....all organs can be affected along with mobility and control....soooo, I am hoping Low Rider as well as my little gal will get a system going in time to counter that...but if not....I don't mind dining with a tort :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Do you think it will get better or do you think they will stay that way? I don't see her hand feeding him everyday for the rest of his life!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, hard to say for certain, you know?

I have my old man Humphry and when I first started my relationship with him he was air biting (and he was a male adult) my first task with him was to get him out of danger due to he was impacted (i had never dealt with an impaction before) with loads of sand

...so when that was done he was feeling a bit better then I would keep him in my office where I use to work (had a door that led out to the patio, back then was my old bosses tortoise I could not bring him home) and would leave the heater on nonstop...boy my office was hot LOL ... he began eating by me dropping food into his mouth every time he did the air bite thing...eventually he became stronger physically as well as I think he regained his drive for survival which became evident as time went on...when ever I came to work he would bring himself out from under my desk, **** his head sideways, so his "good" eye was staring at me...loved that...and he would walk to the door to the patio and bump it with his gular....so i would open the door for a little while on cold days and open all day on the sunny days....now he can eat all on his own....he takes several strikes to get some stuff but he will keep on till the whole pile or bush is eaten up....

so yeah...I think that they "can" overcome lots...he is essentially blind in his left eye and his good eye (right one) gets him by just fine and even that eye is not 100%...he is very polite, forgiving, patient and most of all tenacious...he loves to have his shell rubbed...and he likes when I stick my finger between his head and leg and rub that soft skin spot...and he follows around when I am in or around his yard....I am a woman of faith, and I have faith that your little one and mine will work out just fine.... IMHO :p:p

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Angela, I hope so!!!! Old Man Humphry reminds me so much of Lou!!! How old is the RF that you have? I think Low Rider should be 1 soon. Penny turned 1 last week, and the others turn 1 in November. Maybe they will out grow it. :D

I hate to admit this, but I am going to bed. I am exhausted. Rough 2 days, peed pants, poopie pants, bloody nose, ugh!

I have to teach a quilting class at 10 am tomorrow, should be fun!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not know how old the RFs are...the smaller one is about 4 to 5 inches and the bigger one is like 5-6 inches, rough estimate on both :D

and oh Mary Anne, I had not realized you picked up the other habits as well...wow, bloody noses are rough...are you okay?

(baaaahaaaaa haaaaaa, LMAO jk)

nighty night :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
***eyebrow crossed**** NOT meeeeeeeeeeeee my pee is fine, my poo is fine and so is my nose!! My girls sag but hey can't win them all!!!!

Blahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa, crap wait I may just pee my pants after all!!! Ahhhhhhh :D

Status
Not open for further replies.