Got rats?

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I thought this might be an interesting topic to explore.

I'm thinking about breeding a couple feeder rats again, for various reasons. I figured that while I'm at it, I might try using this to partially satisfy the meat protein portion of my red's diets (as well as other turtles I have). Main reasons being, I feel this is more nutritional then the cooked chicken that I've always used. Feeding whole prey gives the organs and bones, not just the meat. I feel that a medium-sized rat on a proper diet would be more nutritional. Just a random thought. I know a few keepers feed mice, but I feel mice are too fatty, though I suppose they are only seldom fed anyways. But do any of the veteran turtle and tortoise keepers ever use mice?

Please note that all rats I feed to anything are never fed live. No reason for anything to ever suffer, and it's an unsafe practice regardless.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I used to feed both when they were available to me. They were certainly a favorite food. I did find it pretty gross and smelly..probably why they liked it.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I used to feed both when they were available to me. They were certainly a favorite food. I did find it pretty gross and smelly..probably why they liked it.

Thanks Ben. I was actually going to text you that question, haha. Out of curiosity, did you ever give them to your forstenii at all? I know they aren't big meat eaters, but I thought meat protein was occasionally offered. It certainly wouldn't be a regular.
I would definitely be killing them first. No reason for a massacre. I've seen monitor's fed live rat pups…..Pretty disturbing. Turtles are almost as bad.

Last edited:

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Thanks Ben. I was actually going to text you that question, haha. Out of curiosity, did you ever give them to your forstenii at all? I know they aren't big meat eaters, but I thought meat protein was occasionally offered. It certainly wouldn't be a regular.
I would definitely be killing them first. No reason for a massacre. I've seen monitor's fed live rat pups…..Pretty disturbing. Turtles are almost as bad.
Yes the forstenii loved mice or rats when offered. Other items they enjoyed were shrimp, squid, and land snails. The only meat offered these days is a lean ground turkey mix that I make for my cuora and kinixys. They get this a few times a year.