Star was bitten by Rats

Bhanu

Location (City and/or State)
535001 (India)
Sir, my star was a 5or 4 months old i regert it actually i dont know tortoises were bitten by rats when it hibernates my was bitten upto flesh actually
rat eaten up all its flesh of front legs even with nails other leg has only two nails becoz of this it cant able to eat i taken it to vet he treated with 3 injections
on the front legs and after 7days i tried all things it can eat but no results so i taken it to vet again he said give glucose and energy drops daily
after 1 day i figured it out how to feed that with dropller that no exp with torts and i started to feed her all things she eat with my hand sir so please help me how to make it to eat himself any ideas, is torts grow back thier flesh and nails.do you know anything plz post

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Rats kill tortoises. My family lost 2 Greeks in hibernation to rats. Never underestimate them.
There have been a couple of people on here who’s tortoises have been bitten quite badly. Pics would be good

Bhanu

535001 (India)
VID_20180812_084154_Moment.jpg VID_20180812_084154_Moment.jpg VID_20180812_084154_Moment(2).jpg VID_20180812_084154_Moment(2).jpg
these are pics of my star please any thing it can eat currently not able to eat unless i feed it with my hands sometimes force feed

Attachments

• VID_20180812_084154_Moment(2).jpg
    VID_20180812_084154_Moment(2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Bhanu

535001 (India)
Front Right leg almost amputate by rats no nails at all to tear things it can eat left one has 2nails but no use it can't lift front body with that it creeps pushing it with back legs

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may have too feed him foods that you chop up and put in a pile for him. i don't see any open wounds. If there is any that are open and not healed over keep them clean.
Tortoises should not be left to hibernate outside. It's too dangerous and the temps can be too inconsistent. With his condition, you should not let him hibernate any more. The skin and nails can grow back if too much of the nail/toe wasn't taken.
Chances are his nails won't grow back.

N

no one

A Star Tortoise that needs to hibernate?!?

I would also chop up his food. Poor Tortoise!! *sad*

Bhanu

535001 (India)
How can I stop it hibernation when it happens plz explain what's that it is good or bad I was protecting all day

N

no one

How can I stop it hibernation when it happens plz explain what's that it is good or bad I was protecting all day

@Tom or @Markw84 will you please help me out here? I don't know how to explain that in English easily. And you guys are far better in explaining things then me anyway. Thank you!!

N

no one

That is what I know too. Only how to explain in English why not, scientifically. That is what I don't know.

With my Hedgehogs, they must not hibernate aswell. They are African Pygmy Hedgehogs. But when they are kept to cold they might go in hibernation. That could be deadly for them. So you just don't let them hibernate. Keep them warm enough. It is that simple.