Grasses 75% off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Just an FYI but I went to Lowes today and most ornamental grasses were 75% off. I got two hibiscus plants and nine various grasses for $35!

Sent from my MB865 using TortForum mobile app

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I never knew they did that! I had gone to home depot and they were out of what I needed, so I went to Lowes. I definitely going there from now on.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Ugh! This post sent me on a trip to Lowe's, but mine didn't have the grasses on sale. :/
BUT, I did end up a K-Mart and bought a one-pound bag of grass to grow in my enclosure. So, not all was lost!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I want to grow some grass for my Cherry Heads. What type should I use that doesn't have any pesticides? When I asked the guys that work at home depot they said they didn't know what ones to give me and they didn't want to give me the wrong one and then they end up with pesticides. So I figured I ask here. Can I buy some online? Does anyone know anywhere I could go to buy some OR even better online??? Any help would be great.
Thank You :)

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Great to know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone should be aware that hardware store plants are all full of systemic pesticides. Grass seed for lawns is usually coated with chemicals and stuff the help it sprout and keep the bugs off.

I only buy pasture mix grass seed from a feed store or an online place that mixes it specifically for livestock, so no chemicals.

Any plants I buy from Lowes or HD sit in the ground and weather for a year before I will feed only from the new growth.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have worked at a garden center and have done sod management for almost 16 years now. Alot of those seeds are coated with special fertilizers OR in some cases they put microbs in with them to help the the root systems. the companies say that you shouldnt allow grazing animals to consume these certain grasses (johnathon green exsp.) Best seed in my opinion is the ones the farm stores supply like tractor supply or family farm and home in bulk or intended for hay fields. I could get tons of grass seed for free but I rather go buy the farm stuff. just my two cents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the inside info Luke. Your info matches what I have been told too. We have another member who works at a commercial nursery and has been keeping tortoises since the 60s. He has shed some light on this issue for us in the past too.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
Thanks for the inside info Luke. Your info matches what I have been told too. We have another member who works at a commercial nursery and has been keeping tortoises since the 60s. He has shed some light on this issue for us in the past too.

Welcome- AND once again Tom I know this information from keeping horses.. lol I should start keeping track of these and maybe write a book down the road.. ;)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
This is eye opening. Thanks, guys. The first grasses we planted in our CDT enclosure this spring were some long fescue from Osh and some organic wheatgrass from the grocery store. We also planted hibiscus from Home Depot. Should we take it out? While I'd prefer to grow stuff from seed, I don't want to leave their enclosure bare of vegetation in the meantime. Is there a place you can buy plants that haven't been treated with chemicals -- organic nurserys or something?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Good clarifying Tom.

I still love the clearance plants! But what I buy isn't used for anyone to eat from any time soon.
"Foods" are bought as seeds and grown here ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
thatrebecca said:
This is eye opening. Thanks, guys. The first grasses we planted in our CDT enclosure this spring were some long fescue from Osh and some organic wheatgrass from the grocery store. We also planted hibiscus from Home Depot. Should we take it out? While I'd prefer to grow stuff from seed, I don't want to leave their enclosure bare of vegetation in the meantime. Is there a place you can buy plants that haven't been treated with chemicals -- organic nurserys or something?

The sad thing is, is that almost ALL places use some kind of chemical to treat/prevent fungus and bugs. and if its not a chemical its a benificial bug which also arent the best to have around grazing animals. they are always coming out with new things.. I guess home grown in the best!

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Great info guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.