Grazing Question.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello!
So I haven't posted in a while, and although that's sad it's also good because it means Otis has been happy n healthy :D
She turned one on the 1st of July! They grow up so fast.. :p
Okay, onto my question:
Otis was out in the garden and came across a patch of clover. It's the first patch that I've seen in my garden since they were all killed off last month. I picked some for her and she eagerly ate it. She also tried to eat it for herself, "grazing". But among the clover is grass and moss (if you want pictures just say). Is it safe for her to graze freely despite some inevitable consumation of grass/moss (which I know aren't normally eaten), or should I continue picking them?
She gets annoyed when I do it for her, though. Only one and already acting like a teenager! ;)
Thanks,
Olivia

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
the grass should be fine. But what type of moss are we talking about?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Also, Are you sure that it is clover and not oxalis? Has it flowered?

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
the grass should be fine. But what type of moss are we talking about?
Here's a picture with my fingers pointing to the moss:
image.jpeg
Also let me add that the moss is quite dense and there isn't too much in the clover patch as the clovers grow so close together. I am 99% sure the moss is pointed-spear moss. Here's a link: http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/pointed-spear-moss
Thanks,
Olivia :)

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Also, Are you sure that it is clover and not oxalis? Has it flowered?
Definitely clover. I know oxalis as it too grows in my garden. It hasn't flowered yet but usually does; it's white clover. :)