tiny white worms in clover/flowers... what are they?

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
I went outside tonight to pick some clover/grass/dandelion greens and white clover flowers ( it's been a bit chilly and rainy besides having cruel neighbors so I bring willow in at night). I put my pickings in her food dish in her indoor house and was very alarmed to see a tiny white worm in with the clover flowers. I threw these pickings OUT right away worrying my baby would get worms :( So tonight She got Timothy hay instead. Does anyone know WHAT type of worm this could have been? would it be harmful to my tort? The worm was thin and tiny.. like a pinworm in shape. I wonder if I ought to have her wormed now since she has been grazing outside and me finding this worm? Willow is far from being sick, her eyes are bright, she is very active and eats and poops like a horse ( formed and not runny). I just hope it wasn't a baby roundworm or something. if I see any change in her or her stool she will be off to the vets. I'd still like some idea of what kind of worm that could have been that goes on clover?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is probably the precursor to some sort of moth. Something you would find in a lawn. The kind of worms you find on plants or in the lawn are not the parasites you find inside an animal. It would be considered animal protein if feeding to a tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
thanks for that info... I still don't let willow eat worms/insects becuase of the protein factor. I guess I can just pick them out then? I tried opuntia cactus and she refuses to touch it and has been bashing her enclosure all night :( She does this when hungry or annoyed.