TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Sunny has reached 100g!?????
I was scared he was plateauing, I weighed him and the results are in
17 Oct: 70g
15 Jan: 90g
4 Feb: 100g
I feel so relieved. He's been slower the last while, but he's gaining weight, so I'm glad.
Perhaps torts have a treshold after eating a lot, and just relax?
But I do think I should perhaps raise the enclosure temps slightly to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for all the help I've received here on caring for my tort, it's much appreciated!
20220204_214654.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I feel so relieved. He's been slower the last while, but he's gaining weight, so I'm glad.
But I do think I should perhaps raise the enclosure temps slightly to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for all the help I've received here on caring for my tort, it's much appreciated!
View attachment 340029
That is good news.

What is the current temp you are using? It's hard to advise you whether it would be a good idea to raise it without knowing what you have been using up to now.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
The current temps:
Daytime temps are 25C
Night time temps are 21C
Both are ambient temps, I read in the kinixys blueprint that most hingebacks are fine in ambient temps, did you use other for yours?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
View attachment 340029
Even better news! He grew 20g in 9 days!
He's now on 120g!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
That looks like quite a beautiful tortoise! What kind is it?
Sorry Thomas, didn't see your post!
He's a zombensis like William said.
I live near their native region, a guy was helping his grandmother move when he found him in her garden. They made the mistake to remove them and bring them here. He realised he couldn't care for him so he searched around and asked me to look after him
20220326_122006.jpg
He's growing great currently, he's pattern is coming along nicely.
I am struggling currently with care for him. He's almost past a RI, and he's had MBD since I got him. Just wished there was more care info on them. Most info on them are old, so for now I just keep his enclosure warm with high humidity

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
that
Sorry Thomas, didn't see your post!
He's a zombensis like William said.
I live near their native region, a guy was helping his grandmother move when he found him in her garden. They made the mistake to remove them and bring them here. He realised he couldn't care for him so he searched around and asked me to look after him
View attachment 342376
He's growing great currently, he's pattern is coming along nicely.
I am struggling currently with care for him. He's almost past a RI, and he's had MBD since I got him. Just wished there was more care info on them. Most info on them are old, so for now I just keep his enclosure warm with high humidity
That's what happens when you rescue something that was not kept correctly. Mostly it will continue for the rest of his life...not that he will be sick all the time, but he will get sick more often than other torts might. Good job!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
that

That's what happens when you rescue something that was not kept correctly. Mostly it will continue for the rest of his life...not that he will be sick all the time, but he will get sick more often than other torts might. Good job!
Yeah, he was kept on sand, fed carrots and cucumbers in a plastic tub, with no heating, but I'm glad he is gaining weight, he's on 137g now

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yeah, he was kept on sand, fed carrots and cucumbers in a plastic tub, with no heating, but I'm glad he is gaining weight, he's on 137g now
I remember years ago when I was actively involved in rescue, a couple from Washington state needed to get rid of a large Sulcata. And he was, very, large. I rented a van to take him to Y's house. I don't remember all the details now, but they looked reasonably well off...and they really cared for this tort. He looked fine just very small bumps on his carapace. So moving on...they even brought his food...a 40+ pound bag of carrots. yep

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I remember years ago when I was actively involved in rescue, a couple from Washington state needed to get rid of a large Sulcata. And he was, very, large. I rented a van to take him to Y's house. I don't remember all the details now, but they looked reasonably well off...and they really cared for this tort. He looked fine just very small bumps on his carapace. So moving on...they even brought his food...a 40+ pound bag of carrots. yep
Wow, it's always either carrots or lettuce for some reason when people don't know what to feed torts