Greek tortoise stops walking

Giannis

Hi

My tortoise stoped eating and walking so I took het to the vet. He said she has pneumonia and I am administering antibiotics for the past 15 days. Started nebulisation with F10 3 times a day 30 mins each and baths with reptoboost 3 times a day 30mins each. I take her to the vet to force feed her for the past 3 days and she pooped today but very bery little. Still not moving. Enclosure is outside and weather is warm mediteranian.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Giannis

She fits in my palm...
05a476aba24d05c194af1f85fbd7bb99.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
does your tortoise show any signs of respiratory infection or pneumonia? Antibiotics will often throw a tortoise off their feed but it shouldn't interfere with walking

Giannis

Yes she has pneumonia as my vet told me and I am giving her antibiotics, baths, nebuliser sessions and force feeding her. But she does not move around at all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When Joe had a respiratory infection he did nothing. All I could do was follow the course of the prescribed antibiotic treatment and soak him. I always offered food and he ate nothing. He went nowhere.

It seemed to take an age for him to start to improve and he lost an awful lot of weight (nearly a third of his weight)

There are no short cuts, I think. You just have to keep going. Good luck.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it warm enough outdoors? We would be looking to provide 35C under a basking lamp indoors and an ambient temperature of probably 25C. I was told Joe needed this extra warmth at night as well as by day when he was ill (but not the basking at night)

Giannis

Since she cant move I am a bit dkeptical about having her inside with a basking light since it might coock her up. So during the day I have the enclosure outside where its 25-30 degrees and during the night I bring her inside where temps are around 23-25 degrees. Is that ok?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Since she cant move I am a bit dkeptical about having her inside with a basking light since it might coock her up. So during the day I have the enclosure outside where its 25-30 degrees and during the night I bring her inside where temps are around 23-25 degrees. Is that ok?
If those are actually the temperatures you're achieving outdoors and at night then they are good. Do you let her actually bask for short periods or does she spend all her time in the shade?

Giannis

In the shade all the time. There is a small window between 4 and 5 in the afternoon where part of the enclosure is hit by direct sunlight but she will not move to bask there. If this isnt enough then whats the ideal?

Mina Adel

In the shade all the time. There is a small window between 4 and 5 in the afternoon where part of the enclosure is hit by direct sunlight but she will not move to bask there. If this isnt enough then whats the ideal?
I think you are from Egypt too
I have the same situation here too
She doesn't eat or walk .. just sleeping ..
I think she needs direct sunlight and keep going with antibiotics .. I use tetracycline and amoxicillin.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wish I could know the cause of all this ...

Someone advised me that
too cold + humidity = sick tort (RI)
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
So maybe check what your temps should be day and night on the caresheet and make sure he is getting uvb from the sun (even short supervised spells are fine) or from bulbs such as MVBs.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Basking is how your tort raises its internal temperature to be active and to digest its food. If you don't provide that opportunity it cannot recover.

I really suggest that you get a basking lamp, make sure it is 35C directly under it, and place your tort directly under it after its morning soak to give it chance to get going for the day.

Mina Adel

Someone advised me that
too cold + humidity = sick tort (RI)
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
So maybe check what your temps should be day and night on the caresheet and make sure he is getting uvb from the sun (even short supervised spells are fine) or from bulbs such as MVBs.

If she gave the tortoise a correct temps it will be fine..
Or she has to treat it first by antibiotics course..
I think she will be too late for just correcting the temps .. the tortoise can have pneumonia...

I need your reply .. and your experience

Thank you

Giannis

The question here is if we need to keep the tortoise under the basking lamp and for how long?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The question here is if we need to keep the tortoise under the basking lamp and for how long?
I would give it a couple of hours and then maybe move away for a while. Unless of course your tort decides to walk away of its own accord.

It is important that you measure the temperature directly under the lamp accurately though. A temperature gun type thermometer is best.

You need to hang the lamp from a stand and adjust the temperature under it by raising it to lower the temperature or lowering it for a hotter temperature underneath.

Giannis

I would give it a couple of hours and then maybe move away for a while. Unless of course your tort decides to walk away of its own accord.

It is important that you measure the temperature directly under the lamp accurately though. A temperature gun type thermometer is best.

You need to hang the lamp from a stand and adjust the temperature under it by raising it to lower the temperature or lowering it for a hotter temperature underneath.
What temp should I aim for and should I do it now which is 8 pm here in Cyprus?