Green Houses: are they suitable for RF's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
I was on the Home Depot site looking for a sprinkler system for my enclosure...when I saw this GreenHouse Kit that included the sprinklers. Then I just thought, I wonder if a GreenHouse would be good for torts. I would like to keep my torts out 24/7 year round and I think that the GreenHouse would solve that problem. I checked the forum and it looks like some have made their own, but there as been no follow up on if they worked or if they were safe for the tortoises. So, any input or thought would be appreciated. Even if you would not use it...I would like to know the reason. Thanks...

I

This is what I am talking about...I forgot to add the picture sorry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greenhouses get very cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. If you allow for that, they would be fine. I almost cooked a rescue russian tortoise before I realized how hot she was getting in the green house.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if you modified the roof material a bit if that would help on the cooking issue....but I don't know about the cold issue....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My greenhouse has an automatic roof opener (when the air inside heats up it automatically opens a panel in the roof), plus I have shade cloth on the sun side of the roof. It still gets upwards of 125 or 130 degrees in there when the sun shines on it.

In the winter I have an oil-filled electric heater that keeps it warm enough to keep the plants alive.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow that answered that. I was thinking for the colder months...but if the enclosure walls won't help that..then I will just have to think of something else or move them indoors. I have many more months to think about this, but since I saw this....I thought I would ask. Thanks for all the helpful info...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Walk-in greenhouses can be kept nice and warm- depending on your climate, it may need insulated walls or a more powerful heater, but it can sure be done.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
In my experience, those greenhouse kits don't stand up to the wind very well, at least not in central Texas.
I've built one out of panels from Home Depot. (Similar to this). In the summer, it'd probably be best to remove part of the roof and cover with shade cloth or chicken wire. I think it might be plausible during winter if you made the lower 24" out of something solid (plywood/cinderblocks). Maybe double up on heaters for the 3 weeks it gets cold every February.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
In my experience, those greenhouse kits don't stand up to the wind very well, at least not in central Texas.
I've built one out of panels from Home Depot. (Similar to this). In the summer, it'd probably be best to remove part of the roof and cover with shade cloth or chicken wire. I think it might be plausible during winter if you made the lower 24" out of something solid (plywood/cinderblocks). Maybe double up on heaters for the 3 weeks it gets cold every February.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've built a greenhouse out of panels from Home Depot. In the summer, it'd probably be best to remove part of the roof and cover with shade cloth or chicken wire. I think it might be plausible during winter if you made the lower 24" out of something solid (plywood/cinderblocks). Maybe double up on heaters for the 3 weeks it gets cold every February.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be concerned about access to UV light from the sun. don't green houses block most of the sun, just affects warmth.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
DixieParadise said:
Wow that answered that. I was thinking for the colder months...but if the enclosure walls won't help that..then I will just have to think of something else or move them indoors. I have many more months to think about this, but since I saw this....I thought I would ask. Thanks for all the helpful info...

Bit late on this thread,but I have seen UK tort owners line their greenhouses with bubble wrap (not the packing kind, it is specifically made for greenhouses, from greenhouse supply sites). They come in long approx 2' strips. I think they can really help in both winter and summer. Might at least extend your season.
In the summer, if the greenhouse is attached to an outdoor run, they will likely spend time outside. When it is cooler they will hopefully go into the greenhouse. Even a bit of time outside can help.
Some run electricity to the greenhouse and have a basking light, or even a UVB when they can't get outside much in Spring or Fall.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look into that bubble wrap. I just hate the thought of my torts having to be inside during the winter...but if they must, they must.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
DixieParadise said:
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look into that bubble wrap. I just hate the thought of my torts having to be inside during the winter...but if they must, they must.

'Charley's Greenhouse' (on line) sells it, along with instructions on installing. You might find it in a local green house supply store too, I have never seen it at our Home Depot, tho. You can also use shade cloths over the top of the greenhouse in summer. Your torts probably wouldn't even need the greenhouse in the summer, of course, in your area.
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/2...24--34-x-40-ft---80-sq-ft---C7536-02-040-.htm

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
you can keep then in a green house the lady i used to work for had 8 green houses she had a small one fairly new probally 25 ft long and 15 ft wide her green houses are fully operational in the summer in the winter older green houses didnt have temp controlled roof flaps witch open up and close if the temp goes up or down by the slighest dagree even in the winter greenhouses can become very warm because of the shape and the 2 layers of plastic here in canada the winters are cold but when i worked there in the winter when it was minus 20 the green houses were minus 3 inside and thats without the heating system then that comes on at a cretian temp too but anyways she keeps her 6 red foots in so yes they do work just depends on how much you want to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.