Pine Bark Mulch vs Cypress Mulch for RF's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paver1960

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ohio
Best thing is a dirt substrate for these guys. Coconut coir fiber with some sand works well or topsoil, sand and peat. If it's sandy enough, it won't stick to them and yet the mix will still hold moisture.

I'm not a fan of any mulch. Too dangerous in my experience for these guys as they'll eat anything.

Craig

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
mel262011 said:
use cypress, they sell it at home depot for about $2.50 for 2cuFT (56L).

Excellent, please tell me where the nearest "Home Depot" is in Sweden then ? :D

paver1960 said:
Best thing is a dirt substrate for these guys. Coconut coir fiber with some sand works well or topsoil, sand and peat. If it's sandy enough, it won't stick to them and yet the mix will still hold moisture.

I'm not a fan of any mulch. Too dangerous in my experience for these guys as they'll eat anything.

Craig

No further comment needed, apart from that you should read the post again...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
paver1960 said:

Craig

I am a firm believer in the bioactive substrate- a mix of soils, mulches, and sand- that has been activated with micro-organisms that help digest food wastes and fecal matter (but does not do it completely), especially when you add isopods and worms to the mix. (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/substrates.html )

The problem is that this is a 'heavy' mix, and not suitable for all indoor habitats.

Odor-less hardwood mulches, on the other hand, tend to be cheap, low-maintenance, light-weight, and effective for many species. I've raised several Red-foots on them now in the winter for several years and had no problems with ingestion.

However, as we have mentioned many, many times before- everyone's needs, experiences, and situation are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.