Mulch

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for this valuable information, tomorrow I will go to a large gardening store and buy it if available + can I put that bark on a floor free pesticide consisting of agricultural soil and sand .
What you're looking for is pure FIR BARK. It's a media people use for growing ORCHIDS.
Just tell them that you have ORCHIDS and you need potting media.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We call it ORCHID BARK because it's primarily used for growing ORCHIDS.
But it's actually FIR BARK. From FIR trees.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@SuzanneZ
Click on the word forum left side. Scroll down to find the right section. Click on that.
Where it says thread title, put in the title
Scroll down to empty box and type in the box. Further down right side will say post reply, click that.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
40cm×20cm , size of my tortoise is 9,4cm ,it also spends most of its time outside and when the sun goes down I put her in the container because it is still relatively young . So I have to get rid of that soil and put the bark as a substrate without putting anything with it, will it warm my Greek tortoise as it should? Do I get rid of the hay that is inside the Little House?.
The container is very small - it's okay to sleep there at night, but not to keep her there on cold and rainy days

I didn't understand what you mean by phrase "will it warm my Greek tortoise as it should" (I know you use a translator, it's okay that sometimes it makes mistakes).

Proper substrate will help to keep humidity and it's safe for your tortoise. But it doesn't make any heat.

It's better to remove hay from the litle house too. Wet hay molds easily. But you can do it later, when your tortoise will get used to new substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh. I can't get it figured out. It only works when I wasn't trying. 🙂
If you can't get it figured out. Post on this thread what you would post on your threads first post and I can then move it to be your thread.

Morroco
The container is very small - it's okay to sleep there at night, but not to keep her there on cold and rainy days

I didn't understand what you mean by phrase "will it warm my Greek tortoise as it should" (I know you use a translator, it's okay that sometimes it makes mistakes).

Proper substrate will help to keep humidity and it's safe for your tortoise. But it doesn't make any heat.

It's better to remove hay from the litle house too. Wet hay molds easily. But you can do it later, when your tortoise will get used to new substrate.
Well, yes I know is very small .I'm going to look for Orchid bark to buy and I'm going to get rid of hay gradually, but why won't it work on cold and rainy days Do you mean that in those days it will be more harmful than useful?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok I will remove it .For winter, will I need heat lamps?, although we are not facing a drop in temperature like the one in USA , and the sun is there daily, but in some cases it is almost covered with clouds.
It depends on temperatures inside the house. If they drop lower than 23-25C at day and 20C at night you will need some additional heat. For a daytime heat incandescent bulb should work fine. I'm not sure how to heat small plastic container at night, but will try to figure it out.

Can you tell me more how much sunny days you have at winter, what are temperatures day and night (outside and inside)?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Well, yes I know is very small .I'm going to look for Orchid bark to buy and I'm going to get rid of hay gradually, but why won't it work on cold and rainy days Do you mean that in those days it will be more harmful than useful?
I mean, that tortoise need some space to walk (it's required for their respiratory and digestive systems). So during the cold days (not nights) when you keep your tortoise in the container it will be incomfortable (just like for human to live some days in their toilet room) but it is better than freezing outside.

Morroco
Outside the house, the winter temperatures are 19/6 degrees Celsius or 20/8 degrees Celsius, while inside, the room is two degrees warmer and the container is one degree warmer, the sun is every 4 days a week in winter, and this is due to the geography of my country.
It depends on temperatures inside the house. If they drop lower than 23-25C at day and 20C at night you will need some additional heat. For a daytime heat incandescent bulb should work fine. I'm not sure how to heat small plastic container at night, but will try to figure it out.

Can you tell me more how much sunny days you have at winter, what are temperatures day and night (outside and inside)?

Morroco
Maybe you can order from Amazon? Many sellers do international delivery. It could be Amazon Egypt or any store in EU (e.g. Spain).
Ok , I will go to one of the gardening stores, I might find it there, or I will search Amazon like you said ,or I will tell the animal store to bring it to me.
Thank you for everything 😃