Mulch

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Outside the house, the winter temperatures are 19/6 degrees Celsius or 20/8 degrees Celsius, while inside, the room is two degrees warmer and the container is one degree warmer, the sun is every 4 days a week in winter, and this is due to the geography of my country.
This temperatures allow to do "quick runs" outside on sunny days (maybe 0.5-4 hours, watch your tortoise - when it slows down, it's time to go home) but most of the time you will have to keep her inside. To warm up container day and night usually CHE (ceramic heat emitter) with thermostat are used, but I think it's too risky to use in a small plastic box.

If you can get a bigger container - that would be great. I don't want to suggest crazy ideas how to safely warm a small enclosure (only if we don't have better options).

P.S. - Large enclosure could be made from a bookcase or a cement mixing tub, if you have room space for that, of course.

Morroco
I have enough space to put a huge enclosure , would wood be better than plastic? .
I think I will complete this year with this container and with the end of winter I will try to make a large wooden container. do you have any suggestion as to the shape or size?
This temperatures allow to do "quick runs" outside on sunny days (maybe 0.5-4 hours, watch your tortoise - when it slows down, it's time to go home) but most of the time you will have to keep her inside. To warm up container day and night usually CHE (ceramic heat emitter) with thermostat are used, but I think it's too risky to use in a small plastic box.

If you can get a bigger container - that would be great. I don't want to suggest crazy ideas how to safely warm a small enclosure (only if we don't have better options).

P.S. - Large enclosure could be made from a bookcase or a cement mixing tub, if you have room space for that, of course.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have enough space to put a huge enclosure , would wood be better than plastic? .
I think I will complete this year with this container and with the end of winter I will try to make a large wooden container. do you have any suggestion as to the shape or size?
It's usually easier and cheaper to make a large enclosure out of wood, than out of plastic. The only drawback is that wood rot. Since you have Greek tortoise, who doesn't need excessive humidity levels, it's less an issue - bottom part of the enclosure should be covered with a water-proof material, such as shower curtain and that would be enough.

Shape is usually rectangle or square. Or you can make an L shaped if it better fits your room. Size is the more the better and 1 x 2 meters is a recommended minimum.

I agree with your plan to keep container for this winter (so you will have more time to plan the enclosure, find right materials and so). If you can find an electric heating mat (in a pet shop or in a house goods store - foot heating pad), you can use it maintain temperatures in the container. If you don't have a thermostat it will be tricky to get temperatures right, but doable.

Morroco
Well, I will start thinking about a way to build it, and maybe I will hire a carpenter.
Is it this one?' Will the Tortoise be useful as heating or is there an alternative you can suggest, because heating I will need it on rainy days and in winter.
It's usually easier and cheaper to make a large enclosure out of wood, than out of plastic. The only drawback is that wood rot. Since you have Greek tortoise, who doesn't need excessive humidity levels, it's less an issue - bottom part of the enclosure should be covered with a water-proof material, such as shower curtain and that would be enough.

Shape is usually rectangle or square. Or you can make an L shaped if it better fits your room. Size is the more the better and 1 x 2 meters is a recommended minimum.

I agree with your plan to keep container for this winter (so you will have more time to plan the enclosure, find right materials and so). If you can find an electric heating mat (in a pet shop or in a house goods store - foot heating pad), you can use it maintain temperatures in the container. If you don't have a thermostat it will be tricky to get temperatures right, but doable.
61mmMxSv2DL.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Well, I will start thinking about a way to build it, and maybe I will hire a carpenter.
Is it this one?' Will the Tortoise be useful as heating or is there an alternative you can suggest, because heating I will need it on rainy days and in winter.

View attachment 362975
This one should work, but I would search for a smaller size (it would be more convenient to use). Tortoises prefer heat from above, not from below and mat should be placed under the half of the enclosure opposite to the tortoise night house. If pet shop has adhesive hear mats for terrariums we can stick one to container side.
And let's keep in mind, that it is a temporary solution.

Morroco
This one should work, but I would search for a smaller size (it would be more convenient to use). Tortoises prefer heat from above, not from below and mat should be placed under the half of the enclosure opposite to the tortoise night house. If pet shop has adhesive hear mats for terrariums we can stick one to container side.
And let's keep in mind, that it is a temporary solution.
Means that the use of these mats will be a first step, is there another way to keep warm that is 20 dollars?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Means that the use of these mats will be a first step, is there another way to keep warm that is 20 dollars?
This mat will be useful only with that small container.

For a large enclosure we can use ceramic heat emitter. They are inexpensive and last for many years. The problem is that they get very hot and I'm afraid they can melt the plastic container walls. And they need a thermostat to control their work.

We can try to do things different, without temporary solutions (everything will be usable in a large enclosure):
1. Get a lamp fixture (or a desk lamp) and incadescent (tungsten) bulb. We will use it to create light and heat during the day. At night time cover the container with a lid and any blanket to preserve heat.
2. In a while try to order online or through the pet shop:
- a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), 50 watt will be enough
- fixture for it (it needs a fixture with a ceramic socket)
- a thermostat
(Some or even of all things listed above could be found in large DIY/hardware/home goods stores)

Morroco
This mat will be useful only with that small container.

For a large enclosure we can use ceramic heat emitter. They are inexpensive and last for many years. The problem is that they get very hot and I'm afraid they can melt the plastic container walls. And they need a thermostat to control their work.

We can try to do things different, without temporary solutions (everything will be usable in a large enclosure):
1. Get a lamp fixture (or a desk lamp) and incadescent (tungsten) bulb. We will use it to create light and heat during the day. At night time cover the container with a lid and any blanket to preserve heat.
2. In a while try to order online or through the pet shop:
- a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), 50 watt will be enough
- fixture for it (it needs a fixture with a ceramic socket)
- a thermostat
(Some or even of all things listed above could be found in large DIY/hardware/home goods stores)
I went to the gardening store 14 minutes ago, I didn't find that bark, I will order it from a site and I will buy it .
As for the big container, I had a conversation with the carpenter, he told me that he would start making it tomorrow and that's good news.
I will buy a CHE with other attachments, I will use it in winter and rainy days with the new container, I think I will not need the heat at night in the rest of the seasons . Can I use a home heater to heat the room instead of an electric mat?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I went to the gardening store 14 minutes ago, I didn't find that bark, I will order it from a site and I will buy it .
As for the big container, I had a conversation with the carpenter, he told me that he would start making it tomorrow and that's good news.
I will buy a CHE with other attachments, I will use it in winter and rainy days with the new container, I think I will not need the heat at night in the rest of the seasons . Can I use a home heater to heat the room instead of an electric mat?
That's great news!

Yes, you won't need heating on other seasons.

Yes, you may use the room heater to warm the room and the enclosure. That's a good idea. As you are working on the new enclosure, there is definitely no reason to buy stuff for the old one.

Morroco
That's great news!

Yes, you won't need heating on other seasons.

Yes, you may use the room heater to warm the room and the enclosure. That's a good idea. As you are working on the new enclosure, there is definitely no reason to buy stuff for the old one.
So, i will not buy CHE? Just i will use room heater!

Morroco
If you keep room temperatures around 21-22C at night, then we can try without CHE. If you observe your tortoise sleeping a lot and slowing down, then we need to raise temperature. We can put heater a bit closer, for example.
Ok I will, Thanks for your efforts 😃and time , I hope you have a nice day❤️.