Growing food

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
S there anything I can grow for food in my sulcata tortoise house?? If so... What and how?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
You can grow grass, weeds, clovers basically anything that doesn't grow to big.

hondaa

5 Year Member
Canada
yea u can. I grow most of my stuff for my tortoise you can get sprouting seeds from your heath food store thats sell organic stuff most of them should carrie them the brand name is called (mumms sprouting seeeds) they take about 3 4 days to fully grow three pretty fast.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can order slucataseed or mix online many tortoise websites sells it

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
i went out and bought some $0.99 seed packets of radishes and some lettuce to grow myself, though i don't keep them inside of his pen until the plants are big enough for him to eat them, as torts, at least my Russian, will rip up anything that you plant in there lol. If it helps any, the most popular food to grow for tortoises SEEMS to be radishes, as they grow quickly and well in most places assuming that the climate isn't TOO extreme that is lol. Best of luck :D

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
Would i just plant it into my coconut fiber or do I need something special? As you can tell I am completely clueless lol

Hope this picture loads.. I work right by a desert. CAn I collect some of this and feed it to him?

Attachments

• image-651374992.png
    image-651374992.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

hondaa

5 Year Member
Canada
tortoisecrush said:
Would i just plant it into my coconut fiber or do I need something special? As you can tell I am completely clueless lol

yo can you coco fiber but soil is more easy to use if you never grown befor. stay away from miracle grow soil

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can grow in both, or course reg dirt mixed with organic topsoil is the easiest to grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tree is a palo verde. I have one in my Russian pen and they don't eat either the flowers or the leaves.

The weed is black-eyed Susan and is used in folk medicine as a poltice or diuretic. It is not palatable for the tortoises and I doubt they would eat it.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The tree is a palo verde. I have one in my Russian pen and they don't eat either the flowers or the leaves.

The weed is black-eyed Susan and is used in folk medicine as a poltice or diuretic. It is not palatable for the tortoises and I doubt they would eat it.

Ok cool. Thank you!!! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoisecrush said:
Hope this picture loads.. I work right by a desert. CAn I collect some of this and feed it to him?

Just as a reminder to folks, it is not always lawful to collect plants from the wild. Know your state laws as to what you can and can not collect.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Just as a reminder to folks, it is not always lawful to collect plants from the wild. Know your state laws as to what you can and can not collect.

Good to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.