Growing grass!

MidwestyB

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
We’ve had our little fella a couple days now and I never expected just how much i’d enjoy caring for him/her! I’ve planted fast growing grass seed straight into the substrate so they have something to nibble on all day. Pics for fun!

Attachments

• 8F5B5089-8FAD-4B60-A912-999AAFE9AD33.jpeg
    8F5B5089-8FAD-4B60-A912-999AAFE9AD33.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 7F245F86-98DD-4C2C-BC7B-254362FF390D.jpeg
    7F245F86-98DD-4C2C-BC7B-254362FF390D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We’ve had our little fella a couple days now and I never expected just how much i’d enjoy caring for him/her! I’ve planted fast growing grass seed straight into the substrate so they have something to nibble on all day. Pics for fun!
That is cool, except that you don't have a species that eats grass. It won't hurt him if he nibbles on it, but that is not a big part of their natural diet.

Check this out:

MidwestyB

Iowa
That is cool, except that you don't have a species that eats grass. It won't hurt him if he nibbles on it, but that is not a big part of their natural diet.

Check this out:
True! I just thought it would be a nice hiding spot/help with humidity/make the environment feel more natural! Do you think I should remove it? You’re the professional, Tom! ☺️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
True! I just thought it would be a nice hiding spot/help with humidity/make the environment feel more natural! Do you think I should remove it? You’re the professional, Tom! ☺️
I would leave it and see what happens. My concern would be the grass dying off. Grass will sprout from the nutrients contained in the seed up to a point, and then it needs strong light to grow. Like sunlight strong. I'd be concerned that after this initial sprouting phase, the grass would die off and then rot. If it doesn't die off, I see no reason to remove it. Its kind of cool. It won't hurt him if he eats it, so why not let if be decoration for him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I would leave it and see what happens. My concern would be the grass dying off. Grass will sprout from the nutrients contained in the seed up to a point, and then it needs strong light to grow. Like sunlight strong. I'd be concerned that after this initial sprouting phase, the grass would die off and then rot. If it doesn't die off, I see no reason to remove it. Its kind of cool. It won't hurt him if he eats it, so why not let if be decoration for him.
I have tried growing grass in that same situation only to also grow mold in the roots...