Growing grasses with no soil

rearlpettway

These grasses are from Africa.
We grew them with no soil.
We poked holes in the bottom of the plastic container.
Added the seeds.
Sat that plastic container with the seeds into another plastic container that contained water.
We allowed them to sit in the water until they germinated.
After they germinated we took them out of the water and only water them twice a day.
Worked great.
This should work with any grass or weeds.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489180097.178091.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489180114.312404.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489180145.501635.jpg

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Good idea ! Thank you for sharing with us.
The gras looks delicious ( if you are a tort ).
Do you cut pieces of the top of the gras for your tort, and how long does the gras "live" ?

rearlpettway

Good idea ! Thank you for sharing with us.
The gras looks delicious ( if you are a tort ).
Do you cut pieces of the top of the gras for your tort, and how long does the gras "live" ?
I leave at least 2 inches of plant for regrowth.
I don't how long they live.
This was a experiment so I just fed the entire container after I harvested two times.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I declare this Witchcraft and you are a witch. In all seriousness Hydroponics is very good I've used it on occasion

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I think this is probably more similar to growing sprouts. Hydroponics would require a way to inject organic matter, like filtering aquarium water through the roots. I'm guessing that these would die after a few cuttings. Great idea for apartment dwellers though.

rearlpettway

I think this is probably more similar to growing sprouts. Hydroponics would require a way to inject organic matter, like filtering aquarium water through the roots. I'm guessing that these would die after a few cuttings. Great idea for apartment dwellers though.
I did this about 2 years ago. I harvested twice and then fed the entire container to Kendall.
It was just fun experiment.