Growing weeds

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Hi I have a Golden Greek who I currently feed spring greens and grasses. I was wondering how I could grow some dandelions. And I live in a very wealthy neighborhood so all yards are fully weed free do I can't find any. I don't wanna find any so any ideas on how to grow them and any websites where I can buy seeds. Thanks!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They are sold online. Just do a GOOGLE search. I think I've bought them off Amazon before.

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
I know nut how do I grow them all I can find is how to get rid of them

But sorry not nut

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TB2OIO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

http://www.dowagro.com/ca/news/western/15-Mar-01.htm

the last link is how to get rid of dandelion, however this paragraph in the link is noteworthy:

The seeds from dandelion germinate on the soil surface at 10 to 20 degrees Celsius. Optimum germination occurs in full light on bare soil. Germination may be reduced by the shade of a crop canopy or heavy surface residue; buried seeds will not germinate at all. Seedlings quickly develop a taproot, and by fall or early spring they can have a well-developed crown.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
same way you start any seeds. Bury them in a medium, keep them warm and moist until they sprout, give them light until they begin to leaf and then move them outdoors or feed them to the hungry turtle :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NO!!! if you bury dandelion seeds they won't sprout. Please re-read the paragraph I made in bold-face in my last post.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I didn't see your post at first Yvonne. We posted at the same time.
Hmmmm...I've always grown all my seeds buried. I've grown dandelion, too (mixed with other seeds, never alone). If they really have to grow on top of soil then maybe seeds blew on top of my growing area.. ?
That is probable since I have lots of dandelion growing natural, too :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have plenty of dandelion and plantain seeds if you need. Yvonne is right about not covering the seeds. They need light to germinate and now is a decent time to start sprinkling some (they're naturally seeding right about now in MD) in a contained area. I only say contained because dandelions can be crazy to control if even one dandelion goes to seed (and I don't want you getting in trouble with the neighbors and their perfect lawns :p). Happy growing!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yvonne is right . There tell you how to grow them when you order them from Carolina pet supply.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
pfara said:
I have plenty of dandelion and plantain seeds if you need. Yvonne is right about not covering the seeds. They need light to germinate and now is a decent time to start sprinkling some (they're naturally seeding right about now in MD) in a contained area. I only say contained because dandelions can be crazy to control if even one dandelion goes to seed (and I don't want you getting in trouble with the neighbors and their perfect lawns :p). Happy growing!

Actually, seeds don't need light to germinate. They need warm temperatures and water, they need light after they germinate but it is not necessary before or during germination.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
hunterk997 said:
pfara said:

Actually, seeds don't need light to germinate. They need warm temperatures and water, they need light after they germinate but it is not necessary before or during germination.

Seeds are not all the same. Some seeds seem to use light as a germination trigger. Just like some require stratification or scarification. Different seeds have different requirements. Following the 'requirements' will usually result in far better germination rates.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I grow mine in 2' X 4' trays under 4' long Gro-Lux tube lights, and mix the weeds together.

When we get through with our move next April, I plan to build a green house, which'll make things a little simpler.

laura106

worcester
some places do boxes of mixed weeds but there not always that good, mine didntg really grow much

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
I got a weed/grass mix from the AZ tortoise compound. We planted and 6 weeks later we had this! His enclosure is over run w/ ALL different kinds of weeds and grasses. Would highly recommend getting some from a tortoise supply. It's simple, inexpensive and you'll get a ton of weeds and you don't have to worry if they're the right kind. Anything you get from a tortoise supply will be edible and wonderful for your babies...............

DSC03393.JPG