Growing

Chasen

Location (City and/or State)
Galveston
So, The Little T is growing. I'm beginning to see more white coming in and the last weigh in was 62g. That was a few days ago, so a new weight check will be in order tomorrow. Now that the staying alive hurdle has been crossed, my concern is preventing the pyramiding. Before anyone asks, the enclosure is as it should be with temps and humidity levels and the soaks are happening daily. Have a look and tell me your thoughts. @Yvonne G , I remember you recommending cold pressed coconut oil. Can you please tell me your application process? The whole carapace or just the growth rings? Thanx all

B6D7D154-901A-45E1-9470-059AE3851BC3.jpeg 1652FA28-BF3D-4867-9E1F-677DD6299AAC.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've recommended using it on new growth that isn't coming in as it should - fused, too dry, etc. But on a normal, good growing tortoise, I don't think any topical is necessary. Some people use it on a regular basis. If that's the case, you just dip your application cloth (any soft cloth wrapped around your finger) and wipe it on the tortoise. Allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then take a clean, soft, absorbent cloth and polish it all off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, The Little T is growing. I'm beginning to see more white coming in and the last weigh in was 62g. That was a few days ago, so a new weight check will be in order tomorrow. Now that the staying alive hurdle has been crossed, my concern is preventing the pyramiding. Before anyone asks, the enclosure is as it should be with temps and humidity levels and the soaks are happening daily. Have a look and tell me your thoughts. @Yvonne G , I remember you recommending cold pressed coconut oil. Can you please tell me your application process? The whole carapace or just the growth rings? Thanx all
Congrats man! You did it!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_7022.jpg

I use this product on my redfoot once a week ... I don't think it's necessary with a healthy tortoise getting a balanced diet and living in good conditions, but I think it helps keep his shell moist, and it looks nice.

Jamie

Chasen

Galveston
I've recommended using it on new growth that isn't coming in as it should - fused, too dry, etc. But on a normal, good growing tortoise, I don't think any topical is necessary. Some people use it on a regular basis. If that's the case, you just dip your application cloth (any soft cloth wrapped around your finger) and wipe it on the tortoise. Allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then take a clean, soft, absorbent cloth and polish it all off.
Does it look like I should do it? Are you able to tell from the pics?

Chasen

Galveston
View attachment 260973

I use this product on my redfoot once a week ... I don't think it's necessary with a healthy tortoise getting a balanced diet and living in good conditions, but I think it helps keep his shell moist, and it looks nice.

Jamie
View attachment 260973

Jamie
Thanx. Where do you get it? I'm not finding anything when I google

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Search on TFO I saw a post where I think he was willing to trade for some. He makes himself