Growth curve/chart

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey guys, do any of you use tort growth chart curves as reference? If so, is there any one particular that you use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just regularly check and record my baby tortoises weights on a note pad. I guess that is sort of a chart.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I just regularly check and record my baby tortoises weights on a note pad. I guess that is sort of a chart.
Haha! Right! "The chart"! Well I was wondering about something existing in literature much like a human children growth curves that the actual growth marks get plotted in for comparison. I'm just curious to see what's normal/average for my species. In general I think as long as they grow, put on weight, are active, eat/drink/poo, look ok on exterior, I must be doing an ok job keeping them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh. I see what you are asking now.

Tortoise growth rates vary wildly for a wide variety of reasons, so no, there really aren't any growth charts to compare to.

You've got it right. Steady healthy growth is the goal. The rate of growth is less important.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is a chart like that for Russian tortoises. I have a paper copy of it somewhere in this house but I can't find it right now. And has inches on one part of the axis and grams on the other. Check out the Russian tortoise section and see if it's in there. I don't know what type of tortoise you have.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Ahh. I see what you are asking now.

Tortoise growth rates vary wildly for a wide variety of reasons, so no, there really aren't any growth charts to compare to.

You've got it right. Steady healthy growth is the goal. The rate of growth is less important.
Hey Tom, do you see any difference in confidence level of this tort grandma?not too long ago I was bombarding you guys with questions how to get the temps/humidity right, how to get the no eating baby to eat etc.... Have to say that from the beginners' frantic internet scouring for answers now my research has turned into just interesting, enjoyable, exciting adventure. I want to thank you for helping me through those beginners' growing pains:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
There is a chart like that for Russian tortoises. I have a paper copy of it somewhere in this house but I can't find it right now. And has inches on one part of the axis and grams on the other. Check out the Russian tortoise section and see if it's in there. I don't know what type of tortoise you have.
Thank you, I was just working on metric system conversions of all the recorded readings that my daughter took and was just curious about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, do you see any difference in confidence level of this tort grandma?not too long ago I was bombarding you guys with questions how to get the temps/humidity right, how to get the no eating baby to eat etc.... Have to say that from the beginners' frantic internet scouring for answers now my research has turned into just interesting, enjoyable, exciting adventure. I want to thank you for helping me through those beginners' growing pains:)

I really enjoy keeping tortoises and other animals as pets. Always have. My goal is to encourage others to do the same and help with the details where I can. Without my reptile nerd friends, this wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is. So making more reptile nerd friends, like YOU, makes the hobby that much more enjoyable for me. I found my early lack of knowledge and lack of someone to ask what to do very frustrating. It is me remembering that frustration that helps motivate me to spend so much time typing all these answers up for people who are where I used to be, and want to get where I am. If I can make that journey shorter and less frustrating for some people, I will certainly try.

You basically just told me "mission accomplished", so thank you for that! :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
I really enjoy keeping tortoises and other animals as pets. Always have. My goal is to encourage others to do the same and help with the details where I can. Without my reptile nerd friends, this wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is. So making more reptile nerd friends, like YOU, makes the hobby that much more enjoyable for me. I found my early lack of knowledge and lack of someone to ask what to do very frustrating. It is me remembering that frustration that helps motivate me to spend so much time typing all these answers up for people who are where I used to be, and want to get where I am. If I can make that journey shorter and less frustrating for some people, I will certainly try.

You basically just told me "mission accomplished", so thank you for that! :)
Yes, I did! I think you agree

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA

I do the same, it's all recorded weekly in Google Keep. But now I sort of want to plot it out on a chart.