Growth rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
I am just wondering how fast my baby sulcata should be growing. I know that every tort is different but just wondering if there is an average. I have had mine for less than a month and I am just curious how fast he will grow. TIA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is so highly variable that an average is meaningless. I have some that are well over 400 grams at 6 months. Others barely reach 100 grams at nine months. It has a lot to do with how they are started and what conditions they are kept in for the first few months. Hydration, diet and temps have a lot to do with it too.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. He seems to be doing well. He is active and eats well. I moved him to a smaller enclosure that I can keep warmer.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
I am not totally sure of the age of my tort. I bought him from tortoise supply. I emailed him tonight and told him I got my tort earlier this month and he says he is not exactly sure but he is probably 2 or 3 months right now. I weighed him today and he is 44 grams. I haven't measured him because I am unsure of how to measure. Do I put it on the top of his shell or the bottom of the shell. He moves around to much to measure from head to tail. Anyway he is eating a lot and is active and seems to be healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Appetite is usually a good indicator of health. There is a lot of sulcata info in the links in my signature. Happy to help if you have any questions.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
My sulcata doubled in size in his first year. I'm hoping he does it again by age 2! Mind you I'm keeping him healthy but I want me a big tort :)

tickle

5 Year Member
bookwurm1982 said:
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. He seems to be doing well. He is active and eats well. I moved him to a smaller enclosure that I can keep warmer.

Very smart large enclosures are drafty any can get hatchlings sick.if you feed a sulcata just the properfoods like grasses and weeds no lettuce veggies or that horrible mazuri. He should grow slow and steady you do not want them to grow fast or you will have a lumpy fat mess.grow grasses and weeds verry easy to do.they sell all kinds of seeds at home depot.get all natural soil and fertilize with fish emulsian no these have no chemicals or fertilizers.trust me a sulcata that is given 70% grass and30% weeds like dandylion and clover you will have a healthy smooth shell and tortoise.find some plants of clover and dandylion. Then plant indoors they grow veryfast.garden in summer.store haughty foods only at last resort.mazuri has grains and other foods that arr not good for torts pluss soft foods destroy there intestines and make beak over grow.be smart and only feed the grass Abe weeds.u can add hybiscuss flowers and sqwash flowers also.you have a pyramided fat sulcata you arr the only one to blame it wont happen on the diet I suggest.remember the growth should be slow and steady.gl

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
tickle said:
bookwurm1982 said:

Very smart large enclosures are drafty any can get hatchlings sick.if you feed a sulcata just the properfoods like grasses and weeds no lettuce veggies or that horrible mazuri. He should grow slow and steady you do not want them to grow fast or you will have a lumpy fat mess.grow grasses and weeds verry easy to do.they sell all kinds of seeds at home depot.get all natural soil and fertilize with fish emulsian no these have no chemicals or fertilizers.trust me a sulcata that is given 70% grass and30% weeds like dandylion and clover you will have a healthy smooth shell and tortoise.find some plants of clover and dandylion. Then plant indoors they grow veryfast.garden in summer.store haughty foods only at last resort.mazuri has grains and other foods that arr not good for torts pluss soft foods destroy there intestines and make beak over grow.be smart and only feed the grass Abe weeds.u can add hybiscuss flowers and sqwash flowers also.you have a pyramided fat sulcata you arr the only one to blame it wont happen on the diet I suggest.remember the growth should be slow and steady.gl

How does the soft foods destroy the intestines and make beak over grown? I am curious cause I haven't read anything on that, can you tell me where your got your info? I thought to keep the beak from over growing you should feed on a flat rock and also let them tear thier food.

tickle

5 Year Member
It does and grains that are in the foods cause intestinal problem.feeding on a flat rock would work a little I quests not as good a tearing grass on flat rock though.the proof is out there.man made foods will never compete with fresh organic foods ever.processed foods are made with fast growth in mind and pumping in vitamins.of coarse a little wont hurt but I have seen the results of it and its ugly.there is a exception to everything like I'm sure if you only feed for vitamins once or twice a week a d the rest of the week with propped foods there would be no problem.but I have seen what a full diet of foods looks like its just not worth it..I am just giving advice also you or he doesn't have to take it if you want I will post were I got next.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
tickle said:
It does and grains that are in the foods cause intestinal problem.feeding on a flat rock would work a little I quests not as good a tearing grass on flat rock though.the proof is out there.man made foods will never compete with fresh organic foods ever.processed foods are made with fast growth in mind and pumping in vitamins.of coarse a little wont hurt but I have seen the results of it and its ugly.there is a exception to everything like I'm sure if you only feed for vitamins once or twice a week a d the rest of the week with propped foods there would be no problem.but I have seen what a full diet of foods looks like its just not worth it..I am just giving advice also you or he doesn't have to take it if you want I will post were I got next.

I didn't think I wrote anything offensive, I am truely curious where you got your info from. Our lil one eats weeds various grasses some kale collards turnnips (organically grown) and recently started cactus pads. All of which are on just about every care sheet I came across when researching along with books I've read. I love to learn hince why I was asking where you found that. Feeding on a flat rock and letting them tear the food is what I read helps keep the beak from needing to be trimmed so I put his food there. It may not work but an ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure so I put the flat rock in.

tickle

5 Year Member
Ok go to sulcata station web site and go to the diet page then the beak.all there for you to read this is not new news.you no a fresh food diet is the best shot at getting no pyramiding but you still cant believe that.it is known knowledge that a sulcata eating only fresh grasses and weeds is the best diet for them.why would you even put a product like mazuri that has grains in it and causes problems with the digestive system in sulcatas in you're torts diet.why don't you just feed you're dog some chocolate.also you pay for a food that you can grow or find for pennies.cant get any easier.the rock works I agree but allot of people don't use one .

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
tickle said:
Ok go to sulcata station web site and go to the diet page then the beak.all there for you to read this is not new news.you no a fresh food diet is the best shot at getting no pyramiding but you still cant believe that.it is known knowledge that a sulcata eating only fresh grasses and weeds is the best diet for them.why would you even put a product like mazuri that has grains in it and causes problems with the digestive system in sulcatas in you're torts diet.why don't you just feed you're dog some chocolate.also you pay for a food that you can grow or find for pennies.cant get any easier.the rock works I agree but allot of people don't use one .

You are taking what I am saying the wrong way.........Why you feel the need to attack is beyond me. I asked a simple question for learning purposes and you go on an rant. DId you not read what I said I feed my tortoise. FYI I would never give my dog chocolate. And if you read what I feed my lil one you would have seen organically grown. No I don't grow it but a family member of mine does so I am able to put the greens up and have them for the winter. Before you go assuming what other people do ask 1st because you didn't even come close with me

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shannon, Tickle is regurgitating info that he has read on websites or in books. Not all of it is wrong, but some of it is, and some of it is just outdated too. Feeding a tortoise weeds and grasses IS ideal, but it will not prevent pyramiding. I have some very small, very slow grown adults to prove this. They were fed lightly and only "natural" foods, mostly grass. Yet they still pyramided. This is because pyramiding isn't caused or prevented by the diet, which is what people used to think, and what many websites still say. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with Mazuri. It does not cause any harm to their intestines or beaks. Mazuri has been fed to tortoises for nearly two decades and it is a great food which produces great results. It is a great way to insure that your tortoise is getting balanced nutrition, and round out any slight deficiencies that might be present otherwise. I feed it a couple times a week. I know people that feed it every day and their tortoises are very healthy and smooth. This forum is full of pictures to prove it.

Just remember this is a public forum. Any person of any age or experience level can type away and post whatever they want. Doesn't make it true or accurate. You will have to decide what you want to believe. Feel free to ask for evidence or links that demonstrate what is being said. There are several such links in my signature.

Melly

5 Year Member
Tom said:
It is so highly variable that an average is meaningless. I have some that are well over 400 grams at 6 months. Others barely reach 100 grams at nine months. It has a lot to do with how they are started and what conditions they are kept in for the first few months. Hydration, diet and temps have a lot to do with it too.

What is the species of the tortoise in you profile pic?

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Tom said:
Shannon, Tickle is regurgitating info that he has read on websites or in books. Not all of it is wrong, but some of it is, and some of it is just outdated too. Feeding a tortoise weeds and grasses IS ideal, but it will not prevent pyramiding. I have some very small, very slow grown adults to prove this. They were fed lightly and only "natural" foods, mostly grass. Yet they still pyramided. This is because pyramiding isn't caused or prevented by the diet, which is what people used to think, and what many websites still say. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with Mazuri. It does not cause any harm to their intestines or beaks. Mazuri has been fed to tortoises for nearly two decades and it is a great food which produces great results. It is a great way to insure that your tortoise is getting balanced nutrition, and round out any slight deficiencies that might be present otherwise. I feed it a couple times a week. I know people that feed it every day and their tortoises are very healthy and smooth. This forum is full of pictures to prove it.

Just remember this is a public forum. Any person of any age or experience level can type away and post whatever they want. Doesn't make it true or accurate. You will have to decide what you want to believe. Feel free to ask for evidence or links that demonstrate what is being said. There are several such links in my signature.
Tom, you are correct and I should have thought more thoroughly before responding. We have read and printed off all of your threads and a couple of others members and come up with what we feel is best for our lil one. I am very grateful for all the helpful kind members here and I will remember in the future to act my age and not my shoe size :D

Status
Not open for further replies.