Sleep for baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
I just recently got my baby sulcata tortoise. I am just wondering how much they sleep. TIA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They usually sleep a lot. Brief periods of eating, basking, exploring, punctuated by much napping.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
My little Chomper is about 5 months old and sleeps almost all day. If he's not sleeping he's eating or taking a small stroll around his enclosure

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Ok thank you. I figured since he is a baby he needs lots of rest. He basically sleeps, walks around, eats a little and then goes back to sleep.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I just got my baby a few days ago and I know they are suppose to sleep a lot but he seems to do nothing but sleep and he only eats after I put him in front of his food for the 20th time. When he finally eats he chows dows for 5 min then falls asleep again. I'm alittle worried

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
One of mine did the same thing for about 4 days after I got them home. It was just getting used to the new environment, I think. What helped us was taking them outside and placing food where he would walk into it. Like dumm ta dumm oh look I just ran into some food, lol. That was the only way he would eat for the first two weeks. Now he will nibble in the cage but he eats really well when outside.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I take him out side but I also have a flat of grass that I let him walk around on. He walks around on it and if a blade of grass hits him in the face he looks at it then munches it then keeps walking lol but he doesn't eat much of that . . . Ill keep trying I'm sure he's just getting use to things .oh and Thank you for the post it made me feel better

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Try sticking the romain lettuce where you think he is gonna walk in the grass. It wastes a bit but it might help. I have a large wooden box I put them in for now. We are building their living space so there is no grass at this point. In the box i place about 6 large piles around the edge and Taz normally ran into a few of them and would eat. If I placed him on food he would just walk away. Took a stressful week but he heads straight for them now. I am new to Sullies also and totally understand the stress and panic. This forum and its people really are the best and awesome at answering question and support. Congrats and your new cute little guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
looneybug said:
I just got my baby a few days ago and I know they are suppose to sleep a lot but he seems to do nothing but sleep and he only eats after I put him in front of his food for the 20th time. When he finally eats he chows dows for 5 min then falls asleep again. I'm alittle worried

Start a new thread and tell us:

How old is your baby and where did you get it? How was it started for the first few weeks after hatching?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Thank you guys so much

Actually I am a bit ashamed to admit that wen I bought him I forgot to ask his age I bought them from vets pets in el cajon which is usually a very good reptile store and they were feeding dandilion greens

MOCHA123

5 Year Member
my opinion is that they sleep a lot because i have one sulcata name Caramel.By mocha123.
[/u][/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.