growth rate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
I have had my baby redfoots for almost 4 months and it doesn'ti seem like they have grown at all. they still have their egg tooth. at first they always hid and hardly ate. now there hogs and out and about a lot more.

im just concerned because i was told at that stage they would grow pretty fast and it seems like there not growing at all. i did have a shell rot problem from to moist substrate but that is completely cleared up and gone. if anyone can just let me know like a typical growth rate or something that would be great. i just wanna make sure there healthy. i have never done torts before so this is all new to me

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If you're concerned the first thing I would do is buy a scale to track their weights. Sometimes they really are growing but its unnoticeable. I thought my Redfoot wasn't growing at all and I have had it for 6 months, I was sure of it, til I saw a pic of the first week I had it and its grown at least half an inch. Can you give us some details about what you offer them as far as diet goes, and how they are being cared for. Temps, humidity, etc.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps they could have parasites. Perhaps a fecal exam can be done.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Temps around 75. Humidity is between 65-85 depending on the day. There in coco fiber and Cyprus mulch. I don't have a scale I could get one though. My roommate says they look bigger I just don't see it :-/

Feeding wise. They get spring mix the kind with herbs in it, carrots, Bell peppers, zucchini, squash, and forest tortoise chow stuff. I can't remember the brand name.

Sent from my ADR6400L using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
75 where? The whole thing? Is there a warm spot for them to be able to digest their food and function properly? Do they ever get outside for some sunshine?

abclements

5 Year Member
Like Tom kind of alluded too, 75 is a little bit on the cool side. There are some RF keepers that have a warm side, cool side, basking spot. They usually keep those temps at 85 (+ or -), 75 (+ or -) and 92 (+ or -). Then there are some keepers that just keep the entire enclosure at a fairly constant temperature which is usually in the mid-low 80s... 75 degrees is just too cold for them to function the way they should. I would try to boost the temps and then you might see some more growth.

But to be honest, I've had my cherry for a solid 8 months now and I haven't noticed him getting any bigger visually. That being said, I keep a weekly growth chart of him and he has grown just under a full inch and gained just over 100 grams. He was 2.572 inches when I got him and he's 3.571 inches now. It's hard to see them grow, but if you measure them on a set schedule, you will see them grow like crazy! So bump the temps up a little and keep measuring and weighing them!

And the feeding regiment looks alright, just make sure he's getting lots of variety. Does he eat the forest tortoise food? Mine never did, but when I let him try Mazuri, he refused to eat anything else for a couple days lol

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
75 is the cool side. they have a basking spot that is usually between 88 and 91. and every time its nice enough they go outside. everything i read said have a hot side and a cool side so they can regulate their own temps. so thats what i did. they eat a ton and are healthy so its not affecting them. and to be honest they like the cool side better.

Status
Not open for further replies.