Hamilton at altitude. Advice?

Kalderso

Location (City and/or State)
Glenwood Springs Colorado
Hi hi! Hamilton has just made the journey from iowa to live in the high Rockies. I’m a new tort owner so just reaching out! He seems thrilled to explore and bask and burrow. I haven’t seen him eat or drink, though he has a regular poop schedule. I’ve soaked him once and he seemed to enjoy it. Anyone have suggestions for tort life at altitude? Photo of my handsome guy attached. IMG_9928.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think the altitude matters. I'd just watch all the other parameters like temperatures and hydration. Nothing wrong with daily soaks for a while in a newer drier place, while he's not eating much during the adjustment period after moving to a new territory.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He was born in a high dry place so I don’t think he could be in a much better place than Colorado; it’s geographically similar to his home territory.

I’d agree with a few more soaks in the next couple of weeks but he looks great to me! I’m not a big believer in frequent soaks for healthy Russians so once he gets acclimated you can drop them down. At this point, I soak my Russian occasionally more so I can check her over and take her weight. She almost never drinks, unless she’s been hibernating or under the weather. And by almost never, I mean she’s taken one drink in four years outside these time periods, lol. She gets plenty of water from what she eats. YMMV.