Handling Abby..?

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
It's very common for tortoises from pet stores to get sick. They are wild caught and not cared for properly before being purchased. If she's blowing bubbles out her nose, I would guess respiratory infection. One if my girls recently had that and I took her to the vet the very next day, where she was prescribed antibiotics (a shot I had to give her every 3 days). She also had pinworms and underwent deworming treatment. Now she's finally healthy and doing great.

When tortoises quickly pull their heads into their shell, they exhale to collapse their lungs. It often makes a "hissing" sound.

If you listen to her breathing normally with her head out, and she's wheezing and blowing bubbles from her nose, then you'll need to take her to a herp vet.
But the strange thing is she made a bubble with her mouth, not her nose. I habe yet to see a bubble from her nose. And I did ask if she was from the wild or captive bred, and they said captive bred... even with blowing bubbles from mouth do you think it's a respiratory infection?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
But the strange thing is she made a bubble with her mouth, not her nose. I habe yet to see a bubble from her nose. And I did ask if she was from the wild or captive bred, and they said captive bred... even with blowing bubbles from mouth do you think it's a respiratory infection?
Blowing bubbles from the mouth, I'm not sure what that could be. Doesn't sound like a respiratory infection.

I've never heard of a pet store that sells captive bred, unless they were possibly babies. But you said yours is 7 years old? I'd ask them what breeder they got the tortoise from and see if they can provide more information. It's not uncommon for pet stores to say what they need to just to make a sale so they can make money. I've bought tortoises from pet stores and all were wild caught and have seen my vet. Bought from breeders too, which were healthier and came with a hatch date so I know for sure how old they are.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Blowing bubbles from the mouth, I'm not sure what that could be. Doesn't sound like a respiratory infection.

I've never heard of a pet store that sells captive bred, unless they were possibly babies. But you said yours is 7 years old? I'd ask them what breeder they got the tortoise from and see if they can provide more information. It's not uncommon for pet stores to say what they need to just to make a sale so they can make money. I've bought tortoises from pet stores and all were wild caught and have seen my vet. Bought from breeders too, which were healthier and came with a hatch date so I know for sure how old they are.
Alright, I will go to a vet after next paycheck, thank you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
blowing bubbles can mean overheated or have eaten something toxic.