Abby is throwing up

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
So she was making loud noises and I went and checked on her and she was throwing up bubble, up through her mouth and nose. She hasn't eaten anything in like 3 weeks. It's 9pm idk where a vet would be open. Idk what to do..

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Her basking temp is like 115, her warm side is goes down to 80 and her cool side(that she doesn't go to is like 70). In the 3 weeks that I had her she hasn't eaten, I took her to the vet
On the 14th and she was given antibiotics for drooling, and a smell from her mouth, they were done on the 20th. She has only pooped once and that was the 3rd (1st day I had her). She produced urates on the 15th, and again on the 16th and 17th. She has been making small noises but I didn't think much of them.. I was hoping they would get better with the antibiotics

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Basking temp is way too high, I would reduce it to 95 degrees Farenheit. That's a comfortable temperature.

Keeping her hydrated is good, so continue the soakings. If she's not eating and showing the symptoms you described then I would take her to the Vet to find out what's going on. Could be a respiratory infection.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
95-105F is okay for a Russian tortoise. 115F would be high, even with an open enclosure setup.

Can you show us your enclosure pictures? Particularly your lighting fixtures and the layout?

Raise your cool side temperatures to 75 for the time being. Too much heat may be escaping from your open enclosure. What type of thermometer/hygrometer reader are you using to get your readings?

Please also describe the type of foods you are feeding to your tortoise and the amount of uvb/sunshine they are getting.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
95-105F is okay for a Russian tortoise. 115F would be high, even with an open enclosure setup.

Can you show us your enclosure pictures? Particularly your lighting fixtures and the layout?

Raise your cool side temperatures to 75 for the time being. Too much heat may be escaping from your open enclosure. What type of thermometer/hygrometer reader are you using to get your readings?

Please also describe the type of foods you are feeding to your tortoise and the amount of uvb/sunshine they are getting.
To get heat I use a heat gun

She hasn't eaten since I got her, but we have tried:

Cilantro
Romaine lettuce
Iceberg lettuce
Collard greens
Carrots
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Prickly pear
Succulents
Spring mix
Marzi for tortoise
A dried flower mix for rabbits that I found in Wal-Mart

She has a uvb light that she doesn't use, so I take her outside, and it is for an hour or two if it isn't raining this week she has 4hr of outside time 20180824_221550.jpeg

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Oh my God I think I gave her a heat stroke.. I might of been (totally have been) keeping her tempertures too high... I feel awful... I am going to raise the heat lamp tomorrow, she is in a bath now.. but I'm still freaking out.. guys I feel awful... She has snot coming out of her nose...

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Guys... I... her head feel into her bath water and she stopped moving... She just isn't moving... She will occasionally make a sound... I of course drained the bath I just don't know... I am so sorry...

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So, she went limp. She stopped moving. I was like sh$$$t I stepped away and she's moving again. Very little... Very little... but... sigh... She is in a hide we are going to keep it at 80... idk... I broke rule #1 of beginner mistakes and bought her at a sketchy place..... she was living with another Russian, a hermans, some forest turtles, and a bearded dragon.. but I wanted her... sigh...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Light fixtures should be pointed directly downwards, not at an angle. A small UVB strip light like yours is going to cover nothing. You need a long strip light that stretches across a good portion of your enclosure.

Your dietary list has too many store bought greens. Russians aren't fruit eaters. You're also listing/offering too many wet foods with little nutrition.

Please read the links provided and follow their guidelines on Russian tortoise care:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Make sure you tortoise has enough room to roam around in their enclosure. You current setup looks a bit cluttered to me. Offer multiple water dishes and hides on both ends of the enclosure.

Try offering more time outside in the sun. If it was me, I would buy a 4 ft/two seperate 2ft uvb fixture(s) and use that for the indoor enclosure. That way you can get rid of one of the extra heat lamps you have if the temperature inside room that houses the enclosure is over 70F.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Light fixtures should be pointed directly downwards, not at an angle. A small UVB strip light like yours is going to cover nothing. You need a long strip light that stretches across a good portion of your enclosure.

Your dietary list has too many store bought greens. Russians aren't fruit eaters. You're also listing/offering too many wet foods with little nutrition.

Please read the links provided and follow their guidelines on Russian tortoise care:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Make sure you tortoise has enough room to roam around in their enclosure. You current setup looks a bit cluttered to me. Offer multiple water dishes and hides on both ends of the enclosure.

Try offering more time outside in the sun. If it was me, I would buy a 4 ft/two seperate 2ft uvb fixture(s) and use that for the indoor enclosure. That way you can get rid of one of the extra heat lamps you have if the temperature inside room that houses the enclosure is over 70F.
The 1st week I only offered romaine lettuce, spring mix, and cilantro. I am worried about getting stuff from outside because my grandma sprays the yard. I started trying anything after week 2 of not eating.

I will fix the light pointing across tomorrow. And I will pull out all the extra clutter and add some more hides. My goal is to get her outside an hour a day but this week has just been rainy. Before the weather turns for the worst I will get some better uvb lights.

Sigh.. thank you for your response...
But I am still worried about her not eating, what should I get Her?
Do you think she will pull through the night?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The 1st week I only offered romaine lettuce, spring mix, and cilantro. I am worried about getting stuff from outside because my grandma sprays the yard. I started trying anything after week 2 of not eating.

I will fix the light pointing across tomorrow. And I will pull out all the extra clutter and add some more hides. My goal is to get her outside an hour a day but this week has just been rainy. Before the weather turns for the worst I will get some better uvb lights.

Sigh.. thank you for your response...
But I am still worried about her not eating, what should I get Her?
Do you think she will pull through the night?

Rearrange the clutter. Make walking paths wide enough for your tortoise. Definitely get new UVB fixtures. Not sure if your tortoise needs a carrot soak or not. An exotics vet visit may yield better information regarding their current condition.

What are your night time temperatures? Humidity levels?

Do you show your tortoise the location of their food source when you finish soaking them? Does your tortoise even know it's there?

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
At night it gets to about 68 and the humidity stays about 40-60%

And after every soak I put her in front of her food

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Remember to raise warm and cool side temperatures by 5F for the time being. Extending your light cycle to 14 hours is also another option.

Nose bubbles may be an early/late sign of respiratory infection. Only the exotics vet will know for sure.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So her basking temp is now 95, the middle of the enclosure is now 79 and the very end with no light is 69. It will get fixed I just don't know how yet, and I got work in 30min. She isn't as reactive as she was day before yesterday and when I get off work at 11 I will run to the store and get some Pedialyte and baby carrot food to soak her in. The exotics vet doesn't open till Monday, but I am trying to get a hold of him before then.

What else can I do?

And THANK you to everyone last night who gave me quick responses!!20180825_065753.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You didn't give her a heat stroke. It gets way hotter than 115 under the sun outside, and she had plenty of room to move away from the heat.

This tortoise has some sort of underlying infection going on and needs treatment from an experienced tortoise vet ASAP.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So, I came home from work and she is no longer with us. I think she was going last night, I kept her as comfortable as I knew how. In the three weeks that I had her she lived the best I could give her.
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on everything

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
So, I came home from work and she is no longer with us. I think she was going last night, I kept her as comfortable as I knew how. In the three weeks that I had her she lived the best I could give her.
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on everything
So sorry for your loss [emoji17]