Harmonious Redfoot groups

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I only keep Female Redfoot in my collection. I'm against breeding more of them since I get unwanted Redfoot pretty regularly. South Florida is saturated with them.
I sometimes answer post about how multiple Redfoot groups can work. But I don't like just saying that. Because it's not always the case. And it's not that simple.
Usually a group of 1 Male per at least 3 Females can live harmoniously in a very large area. And with only Females, usually 3 or more can also live happily together in a very large enclosure.

For a couple of years, my group of 6 female, or immature males have lived together peacefully. But as of a few months ago, one if my sub adults has started to become aggressive towards my established adult Alpha female and for that reason I'm forced to rehome her (or possibly him)
This happens often.
You must still be prepared to remove one or more torts as time goes by. Because even our best efforts do not duplicate nature.
In nature every one of these Redfoot would live far away from each other. Except to mate. And keeping multiple tortoises together, even peaceful Redfoot is not a science. It's not normal for them and it's not in their best health sometimes.
Its trial and error because not every tortoise will agree to play well with others. Some start to show agression immediately. Others may change when they mature. Others never "seem" to be affected.
They are solitary creatures that sometimes CAN be forced to live together for our convenience.
Every experience may be different.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I only keep Female Redfoot in my collection. I'm against breeding more of them since I get unwanted Redfoot pretty regularly. South Florida is saturated with them.
I sometimes answer post about how multiple Redfoot groups can work. But I don't like just saying that. Because it's not always the case. And it's not that simple.
Usually a group of 1 Male per at least 3 Females can live harmoniously in a very large area. And with only Females, usually 3 or more can also live happily together in a very large enclosure.

For a couple of years, my group of 6 female, or immature males have lived together peacefully. But as of a few months ago, one if my sub adults has started to become aggressive towards my established adult Alpha female and for that reason I'm forced to rehome her (or possibly him)
This happens often.
You must still be prepared to remove one or more torts as time goes by. Because even our best efforts do not duplicate nature.
In nature every one of these Redfoot would live far away from each other. Except to mate. And keeping multiple tortoises together, even peaceful Redfoot is not a science. It's not normal for them and it's not in their best health sometimes.
Its trial and error because not every tortoise will agree to play well with others. Some start to show agression immediately. Others may change when they mature. Others never "seem" to be affected.
They are solitary creatures that sometimes CAN be forced to live together for our convenience.
Every experience may be different.
Your post is a very helpful one for folks who may be getting tired of so many differing opinions on this subject. As you said, it's not that simple and no one rule always applies in every case. Each situation must be taken in its own context and be decided upon depending on what appears to be happening "on the ground". I suppose though, that if you have to generalize, the safe rule, especially for beginner keepers, is: keep them all separated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your post is a very helpful one for folks who may be getting tired of so many differing opinions on this subject. As you said, it's not that simple and no one rule always applies in every case. Each situation must be taken in its own context and be decided upon depending on what appears to be happening "on the ground". I suppose though, that if you have to generalize, the safe rule, especially for beginner keepers, is: keep them all separated.
Yes.
That'd be more helpful than just saying that groups work.
Groups often work.
A solitary tortoise ALWAYS works

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Totally agree with you two. What we humans have been led to believe is that torts desire "companionship" & "isn't that cute" when they appear to be cuddling. Makes me think about every bad date I had when the evening wasn't over fast enough.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Totally agree with you two. What we humans have been led to believe is that torts desire "companionship" & "isn't that cute" when they appear to be cuddling. Makes me think about every bad date I had when the evening wasn't over fast enough.
Good analogy

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Let me update this dusty, old thread...
My "harmonious grouo" fell apart when two of my mid sized females let me know that they were males.
I found myself with 3 sexually adult males. Virtually overnight. Needing to be separated. No more harmony....Lots of re-homing done.
Long story short:
I've been keeping just one tortoise now for a while. Julio. My long term male.
I still take in a rescue or a short term RF every now and then. But my Redfoot group ended. And it ended like in a 48 hour period.
Don't try large groups unless you have hundreds and hundreds of square feet of outdoors space. (Or at least a 1/4 acre enclosure) Think of Camp Keenan. But without the rediculous crowding that he does.
And if you don't have ALL FEMALES. Do not let the ratio drop lower than 1 male to 3 or more females.
My primary enclosure grew to 640 square feet. Much larger than my wife was happy about. Much too large to also tend to my fish ponds and other outside projects and animals.
All males or too many males per females won't work no matter how much space you provide.
It just isn't fair to the poor animals to live with that much stress.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. Thanks for posting this useful warning. These tortoises can really get aggressive towards each other, and they know what they do and don't want!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow. Thanks for posting this useful warning. These tortoises can really get aggressive towards each other, and they know what they do and don't want!
There are just too many variables to just say that groups work as a fact.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Let me update this dusty, old thread...
My "harmonious grouo" fell apart when two of my mid sized females let me know that they were males.
I found myself with 3 sexually adult males. Virtually overnight. Needing to be separated. No more harmony....Lots of re-homing done.
Long story short:
I've been keeping just one tortoise now for a while. Julio. My long term male.
I still take in a rescue or a short term RF every now and then. But my Redfoot group ended. And it ended like in a 48 hour period.
Don't try large groups unless you have hundreds and hundreds of square feet of outdoors space. (Or at least a 1/4 acre enclosure) Think of Camp Keenan. But without the rediculous crowding that he does.
And if you don't have ALL FEMALES. Do not let the ratio drop lower than 1 male to 3 or more females.
My primary enclosure grew to 640 square feet. Much larger than my wife was happy about. Much too large to also tend to my fish ponds and other outside projects and animals.
All males or too many males per females won't work no matter how much space you provide.
It just isn't fair to the poor animals to live with that much stress.
I love Houdini but I honestly don't have the energy or time to care for more than 1 tortoise. He's grown from 3 lbs in July 2021 to 7-1/2 lbs in April 2023. He's always looking to escape when he's outside. So I am happy to say "hi" to the box turtles roaming around our 2 acres & the tree frogs & their babies. Houdini & 2 cats are enough. But those are very wise words you speak. Thanks.