Has anyone had success housing Russian and Hermanns tortoises together

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
I am currently housing two adult male Hermann and Russian tortoises together. I just wanted to know if anyone has had success doing this and if it is okay to do so. Thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Tortoises do not do well in pairs, especially males and especially Russians. I would separate them immediately. Eventually one is going to suffer and may even die. That's not an exaggeration unfortunately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs and species should not be mixed. They each need their own enclosures.

Mac1967

Hampstead, NC
I hate seeing that in the pet stores, they throw different species of tortoises in one large fish tank or tub.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen tortoises housed with lizards at the zoo.

I have too. What does this have to do with your question and how safe it is for someone who doesn't have a veterinary team on staff?

I'm sorry if setting up another enclosure is inconvenient or expensive, but that is what your tortoises need to stay healthy and alive.

Two adult males is a recipe for disaster.
Mixing different species is a recipe for disaster.
Keeping tortoises in pairs is often a recipe for disaster.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of those species is very scrappy. I would not keep them in the same habitat. It is courting disaster. Tortoises are solitary creatures and neither want nor need other tortoises for companionship. They chase interlopers out of their territory. It could get bloody.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Your tortoises will be much safer, happier, and healthier if they are separated. In general, it is not good practice to keep different species together and definitely not multiple males together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am currently housing two adult male Hermann and Russian tortoises together I just wanted to know if anyone has had success doing this and if it is okay to do so. Thanks

How long have you housed them this way? What prompted you to set them up like this? I personally would not mix species, hell, I don't even house two males of the same species together in a forced captive space ..males are funny in that one will absolutely be the dominant which forces the other to take on the role of submissive...which can be highly stressful..also there is going to be a size difference, a personality difference which can actually be unfair...

Think of it this way, if both of these males were in their own space they would be free to move about as their personality feels like...each allowed to be and encouraged to be as dominant as the animal feels...however, once placed in the unnatural setting of two potentially dominant tortoise..then size andmspecies temperment can create a dangerouse situation for one if not both..

Is there a specific reason this set up is desired?

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
The larger Hermann pestered and try to mate with my adult male Russian when I first put them together. Now they along fine.

I also thought that since both species are related that and come from similar environments they would get along.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The larger Hermann pestered and try to mate with my adult male Russian when I first put them together. Now they along fine.

I also thought that since both species are related that and come from similar environments they would get along.

So everyone here unanimously told you to keep them separate and you are housing them together anyway?

They are not related any more than any other two different tortoise species, and their respective environments are really not all that similar. Asian steppes are really not like the Mediterranean coastline at all.

Well. We tried. Hope it all works out for you.

meech008

5 Year Member
I'm curious as to why you posted this thread asking what people thought, but then when people gave the facts to you, you argue. What was the point? Keeping two tortoises together, regardless of species, is a recipe for disaster. All you need for proof is to look at some of the threads on the forum. It may not be obvious to you now, but eventually it will come to surface. Hopefully it won't be too late for your tortoises.
As for keeping two species together, I have no experience in that. However, several people on here who have way more experience and knowledge than I could ever hope to have, told you it was not a good idea. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them wrong or their points invalid. I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but ultimately it's your torts that will suffer. Not to mention your wallet.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Unfortunately when you come home tomorrow or the next day and one is on its back under the heat lamp dead you'll understand. Or maybe you'll go to feed them and one will have its face eaten off.....I get it though. I got two babies before I heard all this...bummer

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Please listen to the people on the forum. They are giving you good advice that will prevent the injury or death of your tortoises.