Has anyone recieved and tested new Mega Rays yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu
I'm reffering to the batch that went up for sale Nov 12, 2011. I've tried their older batch back in July which were Solar Raptors. The new bulbs are new and improved? Are they still Solar Raptors?

I purchased a bulb hoping it'd last me longer this time. But by the time I bought them they were out've stock. So I got an email saying if I wanted to get refunded or wait till new shipment comes in. Which should've been today. Just wondering if anyone purchased and recieved them before they went out've stock.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I purchased a few Megaray zoological bulb 3 month ago....numbers were incredible...customer service very slow...

There back with there original bulb manufacturer Weston of Canada I believe..

All in all..A great product..

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
Thanks for the info Tony.
yagyujubei..yes I understand that it might repeat itself. But from the actual uvb output I got out've my past 2 that blew were outstanding. I don't mind spending the $ if i do finally get my hands on the Mega Ray bulbs that everyone loved before the problems started to occur.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Oh, OK you mean like before he screwed hundreds of people over the last couple of years.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Megaray puts out some big numbers.....My bulbs are over 400um at 36"..... All 6 bulbs still going strong after 3 month..(12hr on )....

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
BEWARE Stay away from MEGA-RAY Read there report on the BBB I am still waiting for my replacement from last year. This guy should be in jail.

shrimpernickel

5 Year Member
I was wondering the same thing........... Are these bulbs safe now? On the megaray site he explains it as a solar-ray problem. Is powersun the safer choice?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I personally would'nt buy a mega ray bulb. Just from all the reviews on what have happend to members on here its not worth the headache. Expecially when i have proof that my Powersun will grow a beautiful tortoise. Zoo med powersun is the way to go for MVB. Iv only had one bulb blow premature and i sent it to zoo med with a tracking number. It got their on a tuesday, the same week on thursday I had a brand new powersun bulb in my hands from them. Thats coming from California to Missouri. also iv send in several rebated to zoo med and I get my rebate check the next week everytime.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
I agree with Powersun being a good bulb. I'm currently running that and have been for sometime now. But when I did have the Solar Ray. The UVB readings I got from the bulb were over 3 times as strong. Probly closer to 5 times as strong. Only problem of course is it blowing out quickly. Mines lasted a month or so. So I went ahead and bought another Mega Ray hoping the design changed and lasts longer. So I am aware of the problems ReptileUV has been going through cause I'm one of those owners who had a bad experience with the bulbs. But I think its worth trying again if the bulbs are newly designed. Just want to know if anyone got one from the latest batch about a month ago before it sold out. Mines should be coming in within a week from now.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
LoL!!! Yes you did. Thanks again Tony for your useful info. Bob sent me an email with tracking # earlier today for my bulb. Hopefully its in soon. Were the bulbs you recieved their Solar Raptor bulbs by any chance?

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Mega Ray bulbs are far superior to every other MVB out ther in terms of UVB output. I have tested Power suns, TRex, and Mega ray bulbs with a uvb meter and Mega ray tested 5 times higher than the power sun and trex bulbs. Over the past year Mega Ray has had a huge problem with the bulbs blowing prematurely but hopefully with the new design that problem is solved. Im getting one of the newly designed bulbs for xmas. When i get it ill test it out and report back my findings. I am currently using a 160 watt solar raptor from megaray...been using it for almost a year. (I guess I got lucky with my bulb not blowing)

Im my opinion you cannot grow a healthy totoise indoors with a Powersun or Trex bulb (at least a high uvb needing species like a sulcata or desert tort). The UVB output of Power Suns and Trex bulbs i tested were over 15-20 times weaker than the afternoon sun in areas like the southern United States. Mega Rays UVB output is much better, only about 3-4 times weaker than the suns uvb output. No matter what MVB you choose, exposure to the sun is a must especially with a powersun/trex.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
tortoiseboy8o8 said:
LoL!!! Yes you did. Thanks again Tony for your useful info. Bob sent me an email with tracking # earlier today for my bulb. Hopefully its in soon. Were the bulbs you recieved their Solar Raptor bulbs by any chance?

No ..they were special order...I explained to Bob my setup (7ft ceilings )and he stated he had some new 275watt zoological bulbs that he would hook me up with..

But I know he is back with Weston in Canada... His original bulb manufacture before the fiasco.....I'm sure they will be fine .... I read he actually has a new facility now separate from his repair shop...Hopefully he has the man power to deal with customer service

When you get some numbers post them..

Good luck

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ekm5015 said:
Mega Ray bulbs are far superior to every other MVB out ther in terms of UVB output. I have tested Power suns, TRex, and Mega ray bulbs with a uvb meter and Mega ray tested 5 times higher than the power sun and trex bulbs. Over the past year Mega Ray has had a huge problem with the bulbs blowing prematurely but hopefully with the new design that problem is solved. Im getting one of the newly designed bulbs for xmas. When i get it ill test it out and report back my findings. I am currently using a 160 watt solar raptor from megaray...been using it for almost a year. (I guess I got lucky with my bulb not blowing)

Wow, that is compelling data. Glad my torts get to spend at least half the year outside, the sun is free!

Im my opinion you cannot grow a healthy totoise indoors with a Powersun or Trex bulb (at least a high uvb needing species like a sulcata or desert tort). The UVB output of Power Suns and Trex bulbs i tested were over 15-20 times weaker than the afternoon sun in areas like the southern United States. Mega Rays UVB output is much better, only about 3-4 times weaker than the suns uvb output. No matter what MVB you choose, exposure to the sun is a must especially with a powersun/trex.

Wow, that is compelling data. Glad my torts get to spend some time each year in the sun, it is free!

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
ekm5015: I agree with the UVB output being significantly stronger. I actually just got a brand new Powersun today and tested it, read around 65-70/uw @ 12". I had two bad Solar Raptors blow out on my back in August I think. Even though they didn't last I don't really care. I really hope these new bulbs last as long as your bulb. My Mega Rays should be coming in soon.

Tony the tank: Oh ok, thanks for being helpful. I'll post the new #'s as soon as I get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.