New to TortoiseForum, but not to Sulcatas!

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Hi!

My name is Donna, and I live in Peoria, AZ which is just outside of Phoenix. I have 4 African Sulcatas: one female and three males. The female, Andi, born August 2003 and two of the males, Joey, born August 2004 and Bolt, born July 2008, live outside in a custom built habitat with heated house and automated sprinklers to keep their grass growing and the humidity up. Chase, adopted Nov. 23, 2011 from a friend when he was about 6 months old, still lives in the house in a huge tort table. I worry that Chase may not get to live outside. The other two males get along together, but did not welcome him (thought by his previous owner to be a female) into the group. He had parasites when he first arrived, and did not grow much. Now he is well, and growing fine, but he won't catch up to Joey & Bolt until they stop growing.

We "rescued" Andi & Bolt when they were found wondering in our own back yard. They were both hatchlings, and the one person who used to raise sulcatas in our neighborhood had moved away a couple of years earlier. Never did find the female who was laying the eggs, but at least two of her offspring made it past the coyotes. Bolt moved here from New Jersey, thanks to Julie at Turtle Rescue of Long Island.

I'm happy to have found a forum dedicated to tortoises and turtles, I miss the camraderie of the small ones I used to belong to!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, we may be a large group, but I think you'll find the camaraderie to your satisfaction. We're just like a family - sometimes we disagree, but mostly we all get along just fine. We have a thread named "Pretend Chat, 2.14" where you can talk about anything, and we really get to know each other there. Give it a look. Maybe it will suit you. Anyone is welcome.

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have another sulcata person join the group.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Dona welcome to the TFO from Phx. AZ . When do we get to see Picts of your torts. ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome Donna...sounds like your Andi and Bolt might have hatched 'naturally'...in the ground, not an incubator...which would make for an even more interesting story! And, as Gramps said, pictures are more than welcome! In fact...they're required! ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. You surly know what you are doing. Good to have you here.

Welcome and please share some photo of those big guy with us.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I would really love to see pictures of your enclosure! :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm with the rest of the posters...I am glad to have another Sulcata keeper to hear how someone else does it. Post photos! I currently have other turtles and tortoises but only one Sulcata, Bob, he's 16 yrs old and 150 pounds...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum, Donna. Lots of sulcata keepers here. No pressure to post photos. Just take your time and when you are ready we would love to see them.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Welcome Donna! Glad you are here! Definitely would love to see photos of your torts!!!