Has anyone tried...

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South South Texas,
IMG_2374.PNG Does anyone have any experience with this filter? I'm thinking of ordering it for the pool in the redfoot long box build. It will run in 2 inches of water, the one at my LPS needs 4.5 inches of water, too deep for my guys.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My little RES has almost the same filter.
I've tried and tried again to filter a pool for my R.F. but it never works out. The tortoises are too destructive and there is too much poop.
Rinse out and refill is the way to go.
If you figure out a way to keep tortoise water clean, please share it.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
Zeropilot, how large is your RF? I did this for 5 RFs, 3 1/4"- 4". Just finished setting it up a few hours ago. I used the Tetra brand from PetSmart. If it doesn't work out, I'll try something else. I wish I'd seen your post before I went out and bought it, I probably would have picked up a much larger filter. This one is for up to 20 gallons and I've got it set up with about two gallons.IMG_2379.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I tried it indoors and out. Outdoors with very powerful cannister filters and indoors with all sorts of contraptions.
It was just never satisfactory as far as keeping the water clean or in the tortoises not knocking the whole thing loose.
Right now my tortoises are from 11 to 15 inch bulldozers. Bare cement ponds for them!:rolleyes:
Keep the filter. Because you have "turtles", someone will eventually bring you a baby water turtle that is injured and that filter will work well for it.
Actually, if that filter works for a while, it should help in increasing humidity........

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
Yeah. People have been bringing me injured and orphaned animals since I was a child. Birds primarily, occasional rabbits, but when I was younger, and turtles and tortoises more prevalent, folks brought them to me all the time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah. People have been bringing me injured and orphaned animals since I was a child. Birds primarily, occasional rabbits, but when I was younger, and turtles and tortoises more prevalent, folks brought them to me all the time.
My wife and I too.
The last one, a sea bird was a failure unfortunately.
I think a lot of us here at the forum are big softies for injured animals.
AND it explains at least one of my wives.:rolleyes:

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
What's the old saying? Speak of the devil and he appears? image.jpgMy daughter came home from college today with a baby grackle. She found him In the parking lot. I gave him a half dozen mealies with a pair of needle nose pliers and he promptly settled down and fell asleep.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What's the old saying? Speak of the devil and he appears? View attachment 211887My daughter came home from college today with a baby grackle. She found him In the parking lot. I gave him a half dozen mealies with a pair of needle nose pliers and he promptly settled down and fell asleep.
Geez
You gotta feed those things like 5 times a day and keep it warm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This was ours that died.
A Tern. It wouldn't eat. Was injured and died even after 2 days of forced feeding.
Good luck.

Attachments

• 20170605_080243.jpg
    20170605_080243.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
The last bird I hand raised was a house sparrow, Cheebo. He would groom eyebrows, ears, eye boogers, pick your nose, and terrify visitors with bird phobias.