Has anyone wired this up?

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Has anyone wired up a thermostat like this to an extension cord to control a ceramic bulb ? I have a bunch of thermostats and a bunch of extension cords, I would like to learn.Screenshot_20180517-123035.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
most of these types of thermostats - made for controlling home heating - need a low voltage relay. The output wires to turn on/off the heat is low voltage and needs this relay to then turn on a 110 volt heater. Look the unit up online and download a user manual to see a wiring diagram - or post what came with the unit if you already have one. I have stayed away from home thermostats for use in my enclosures. There are many very inexpensive temperature controllers that directly output to 110V.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
most of these types of thermostats - made for controlling home heating - need a low voltage relay. The output wires to turn on/off the heat is low voltage and needs this relay to then turn on a 110 volt heater. Look the unit up online and download a user manual to see a wiring diagram - or post what came with the unit if you already have one. I have stayed away from home thermostats for use in my enclosures. There are many very inexpensive temperature controllers that directly output to 110V.
Thanks . I don't have thermostat that's why, I really can't afford now, but my torts are in great care. Due to size of enclosure and lights, I have it set up almost perfect. The basking lights keep basking spot 100 and Ambien temp 80. When basking lights shut off ceramic bulb kicks in and keeps ambient temp at 80

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I have timers, but they appear to change times on their own. So I have to manually switch lights, can't run risk of ceramic and basking lights turning on at same time. It can easily overheat

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I have different types of thermometers everywhere all over enclosure to secure correct temps20180517_143707.jpg20180517_143733.jpg1526673662308.jpg1526673785889.jpg20180518_083357.jpg20180518_083423.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I've used more than a dozen of these over as many years with no problems. The only one that has failed was submerged in a flooded burrow. Only $30:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
I was thinking bout grabbing that one Tom. I'll get it now for sure. I felt bad going with a no name brand from home depot. Im not working right now, that's why I struggle with upgrades, but I've been waiting on a check for weeks now. Soon I'll be able to upgrade my boogers to a mansion. I want a Flintstones style enclosure. I've been collecting different bamboos to hook it up with style. Can't wait..

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I have timers, but they appear to change times on their own. So I have to manually switch lights, can't run risk of ceramic and basking lights turning on at same time. It can easily overheat

I often use 3-4 cheap timers in my little grow room for lights. They never change time except when there's a power outage. And then of course they all are behind to the same extent.

The reason i have to use multiple timers is that they only have 1 outlet each.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I put probe for thermostat behind hide. Good spot? I set at 80 degrees and its connected to 100watt ceramic bulb. Also adjusting basking lights. I used 3 different temp gauges to set at 99 degrees, my new zoomed gauge read 120 under basking spot. 20180519_153408.jpg20180519_153416.jpg20180519_145146.jpg20180519_145153.jpg1526769560597.jpg