Hatchling behavior question

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
So, I've noticed that Nyx has been digging a bed area by the basking rock. I have orchid bark over coco coir which is about 6 inches deep.

She doesn't burrow in it, but digs up the bark to lay in a divit in the coir. It's just deep enough so she fits comfortably in it. It reminds me of how bird's nest up tight.

I have two theories as to what she is telling me.

1. She feels exposed
2. She wants the comfort of a smaller hide
. Or both

Any ideas are appreciated. Im really not sure what she telling me. if she needs more hides or something I'll be happy to provide whatever she needs.

IMG_0903.jpgIMG_0948.jpg
And a but shot because who doesn't like tortoise tails IMG_0946.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My opinion is that coco coir just feels better on the skin than orchid bark. It's small enough to be able to reach all areas and has a very insulating quality that fine grade orchid/fir bark simply cannot match. Don't ask me for data or proof, that's just how it seems to me. Some of my indoor enclosures have a mixture of orchid bark and coco coir. They are not separated by layers. The spots where my tortoises bask and sleep always seems have more coco coir than bark.

Another possibility is that your tortoise may simply just like or prefer the combination of heat and wetness in that area. He or she is craving out a little nook.

drew54

Indiana
No that makes sense and would explain why she has several spots in her enclosure like that. I covered her spot earlier to see if she would dig it up again and that's where she is. Lol I keep the coir swampy so it wicks up to keep the bark moist so it doesn't dry out when I'm at work. So, should I let her make her own areas or make a large spot for her?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
No that makes sense and would explain why she has several spots in her enclosure like that. I covered her spot earlier to see if she would dig it up again and that's where she is. Lol I keep the coir swampy so it wicks up to keep the bark moist so it doesn't dry out when I'm at work. So, should I let her make her own areas or make a large spot for her?

I don't think anything needs to be changed if the temperature/humidity levels are where it needs to be and if there are no signs or symptoms to speak of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She's digging down to make a little humid micro-climate area for herself. What concerns me is that she's doing it near the heat source, which will dry her out. What is the ambient temp in the cooler parts of the enclosure? What are you using for ambient heat?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Darwin's been doing that recently ... A few times a day I'll see him dug down into the cypress in different parts of his tank.

Jamie

drew54

Indiana
She's digging down to make a little humid micro-climate area for herself. What concerns me is that she's doing it near the heat source, which will dry her out. What is the ambient temp in the cooler parts of the enclosure? What are you using for ambient heat?

The ambient temp is 80-85 basking 95-102. Her carapce was 100 in that spot. I try to either mist her or I'll pour some water on her. She gets soaked 2x a day also. I use a Che on a thermostat.