hatchling diffacultly xperts advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
this is my first star but no first turtle or tort.i realy got prepared b4 i ordered and got this guy but think i might be over doing it but it seems very happy and healthy.he gets only wild grasses weeds and cacti.vitamins are sprayed at every meal .fed twice a day.has cuttle bone and chomps on allot.soaked once every other day sometimes daily depends on work day.if im tacking him out of the tank i put the heat in the house on 95 just to be safe.he has a thermoregulater in the tank that can controle two areas its for a reaf tank great piece of equipent .ambient day temp is 93 to 99 degrees .day hide 88 degrees and basking under mv lamp 98 to 101.heat switches off and a fan comes on if it goes past set temp.i have this set up in two places so there are two fans and heaters if the area i have one of the thermometers reads two high one of the fans go on and heat goes off till temp brought back to set readings.it works amazing on indoor setups.night time temp are ambient is 86 to 88 degrees hide 82 to 85 degrees and the daylight mv bulb on for 14 hours.i add eye drops from zoo med once a week.do you guys think this is over kill or should i keep these prcautions up till he is a couple of inches.2i allways hear horror stories so im trying my best to be thorough.he loves fresh cut grass and clover wich i am very happy about.he seems to eat more of this then any other foods.i new what i was getting into and i could opssable loose this guy if any things goes wrong but i love the challenge and want to go all out.what do you guys do that might be considered over the top?thanx for reading my rantings:p i realy love my star and latly i will be out with my wife for a dinner date and see a nice bunch of clover or dandy and find a bag to bring it home for him crazy

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Sounds like you are doing well. What is your humidity like?

I am curious about your heating and cooling set up. Could you show some pictures? or give a little bit more detail? What type of fans and heating are you using, etc....

tickle

5 Year Member
its the nema 4x by aqua logic.i am using porcalin heater and clip on fans any kind will do because every inclosure is different .it has 2 temp probes and 4 plugs two for a heating source and two for A COOLING SOURCE i no they make the nema 4x with just two plugs also one for heat and i for cold mine was a new prototype i won on a reefcentral raffle i think they still make the 4 plug. it is a great piece of equipment that is made for salt water but works just the same out of water .allot of reefers have problems with heaters cooking or freezing fis when heaters fail and they all do salt water is a bad mofo.this is a backup and way to keep temp perfect without worying one day all youre inveatments turned into chowder cause youre heater malfunctioned.my humidity is 44% and fluctuates between that and the low i had it was 28.i will get picks when my wife gets home with the kindel.they do sell it at marine depot.com though.it is a real good piece of equipment for hatchlings.slow perfect temperature fluctuations nothing rapid or shocking that is one of the reasons i decided to finally get a star.sandy killed my reef tank and i had this perfect thing to properly house a star tort for the winter he will go outside in summer.i have a pair of easterns male female for over 20 years and a rusiian for a couple and they are in a deep sleep in my garage bacement.i had a sulcATA years ago but it was winter and i got in a horrible motorcycle accident and was in hospital and hospice for a couple of winter months and gave to a friend who fell in love and moved to florida so he kept him my
boxies and russian were hybrinating at the time no i didnt hAVE to get rid of them.i had a huge enclosure built for my sulcata and i was going to put the star in it but he was to small and the table was to drafty for a hatchling he will go in there next year though it 12 feet long i forget how wide.right now he is in a coral frag tank witch has short sides and 3 1/2 long and 3 1/2 widei can regulate that perfectly and he seems to be doing great.i think doesnt like hay becauser he react weard to it it seems to bother him so i remved it quickly also it kept my humidity super high by trapping the water in my substrate.he loves to snuggle down in the warm sand and soil mix so cute.i will take to vet for check up in summer i think that would be to much for him the stress and weather.i can tell they dont like to be shipped.his shell is beautifull so deep black with a bright solid yellow and gold and his armoured legs in fron fantastic.i can now c what you guys mean by dehidrated shell i saw in some other posts.he is also a pig i really hope he is here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.