Hatchling: Eastern or 3-Toed?

Natescribner6

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hello! First let me say that this forum has been nothing short of a godsend. I know it may be frowned upon, but I work in the pool industry in NJ & during late October of 2022 (or so) I found this little beauty in one of the skimmers in the baby pool. The skimmer basket was cracked & frankly it’s a wonder that she didn’t get sucked through the pump (going to try an add some pictures here from that day).

Anyways, I decided to keep her & initially was planning on having her til next spring, since it was quite cold out, then releasing her at or around that pool. Fast forward a few years, & of course I wouldn’t be posting here if I didn’t still have her. I will say it has been a huge learning experience for me, and that it was not an easy process. It took her quite some time to get used to her new environment, and I think moreso than that, getting used to me as her new caretaker.

Alas I will not go into too much detail about everything, but there were a few questions that I had, just wanted to see if anyone here would be able to provide any insight. Again thank you all, you guys on this forum have some exceptional information!!

Questions:

1. I have been back and forth about whether she is an eastern box, or a three toed. She has 3 toes, or so it seems, but I feel like at this stage all the images I can find of either species look pretty similar.
  2. More recently, I have been feeding her the worms in her water bowl. She loves to season her worms with dirt for some reason whenever I put it on a stone plate so I have been instead feeding her in the water. Is this OK / is getting the worms “dirty” OK?
  3. I try to feed her a diet consisting primarily of live food (protein), but also mix in fruits and veggies (more veggies than fruits); but I was wondering about any vitamins. I do have a cuttlebone that she gnaws on every other day, and occasionally dust the worms with calcium. Are there any other vitamins that I should be sprinkling in here or there?

I hope this is the right place to put this & again thank you guys so much!

Attachments

• IMG_3236.png
    IMG_3236.png
    950.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg