Hatchling just pipped! Need help

Dave Guderian

5 Year Member
I have had lots of eggs in the past, but finally just had my first Eastern Hermann's hatchling pip through this morning! He hasn't really made much progress since the initial pip. At what point do I intervene and peal some of the egg away? It hasnt even been 24 hours, but I would assume at some point there may need to be human intervention if progress is stalled, right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have had lots of eggs in the past, but finally just had my first Eastern Hermann's hatchling pip through this morning! He hasn't really made much progress since the initial pip. At what point do I intervene and peal some of the egg away? It hasnt even been 24 hours, but I would assume at some point there may need to be human intervention if progress is stalled, right?
Add water to the incubation media after pipping, and add humidity over all to the incubator. Hatching is a process, not an event. 24-48 hours is normal. I see outliers that hatch in a few hours, and there that take 72 hours. Sometimes they pip, stick their nose out, and then sit there absorbing a large yolk sac that can't bee seen by us yet. If conditions are too dry and sticky, the baby could be in trouble. If conditions are plenty damp and very humid, a healthy baby will be able to extricate itself when its ready. Other than adding water, I almost never have to intervene.

Get your brooder box ready...

Dave Guderian

5 Year Member
Thank you so much Tom! I really appreciate the help. When I move them to their enclosure, and recommendations on substrate?