Have a plan!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
Hi guys, it seems like it’s been a very long time. I know I dropped off the planet for a while and I kinda just wanted to stop in and tell everybody what the heck happened with me.

So I was fairly active about a year ago or so on here and I had some serous health issues happen, I had a heart attack and stroke that turned everything upside down.. me and my husband have 2 children at the time 6 and 3 and at the time I had 3 tortoises along with about 30 other pets of various species (we own a ranch if y’all don’t know or remember me) I’m not on here to get pitty or have anyone pat me on the back but what I cannot stress enough is ‼️Have a PLAN‼️ My husband and I are high school sweethearts and this has put a strain on even our relationship. It was a absolute and utter shock to everything in our lives. A Lot of my animals where frantically rehoused after it became apparent that I was on such a long road to recovery. Unfortunately some of my pets even died in the chaos, and I cannot blame it on anything but my unprepared situation. You don’t expect something like this to happen, especially if you’re only 30, my point is, if I had some plans for my animals, feeding schedules, rehoming options, diets and websites to go to, any sort of real plan this would’ve never been such a crisis for my entire family. Yes it would have still been a difficult and horrible situation but it would have been eased off of my family at least a little. I know that many of us on here are of the same mind, we love our animals so much, so have plans if you get sick tomorrow, or in an accident or anything of the sort, because when you have no plan you’re family will be absolutely lost without it. And your animals will end up in a losing battle. I cannot stress this enough it’s our responsibility as the owners of these animals to have a plan.

Praying that all of you guys are in great health and have good days ahead.

On a super sad note I only have one tortoise left, a lot of my reptiles ended up passing away or being rehoused in the chaos. Reptiles are a specialty animal and they need a lot of information to keep them thriving. My husband truly did the best he could.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Glad to know you are better. Sorry about your reptiles. That's a great reminder to have a plan. No one might want to hear about what happens to your animals, because no one thinks something is going to happen. However it does happen. Sorry that happened to you.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow so very sorry. So glad you are doing better. So very sorry the ruff time everyone had including the animals.
One part of everyone's plan should be to come on here to see if anyone is local and can help. We have a lot of great members that are willing to help if they are close enough.
Hope all the ruff times are behind you and you continue to stay healthy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Glad to hear your are better, @BrookeB . At the same time, I'm sorry to hear such sad news as far as your pets are concerned.

Take good care of yourself!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm so glad to see you posting! I checked in with hubby a couple of times and he kept me posted. I'm hoping for the best for you and your family.

AmandaF

Congresbury
I’m sorry life has been so difficult. I hope you are on the mend, Ernie 🐢 & Amanda x