Have I been trained well...?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Tuleo is in a temp enclosure while his grows out and even when he was in his I would go around the yard cutting various tort safe plants (some that he has in his current enclosure) just because he mows things down so quickly and I worry. I am still doing that despite the 6" tall grass and weeds he has access too. Hibiscus, begonia, geranium and a few other weeds and such that are NOT growing in his area at the moment and a lot of stuff that is. He mows through each pile and picks at the grasses and weeds actually growing. I do this daily. A few times I have done this three times a day! Piles as big as he is.

I know I am overthinking this (and I work from home so doing this is not a huge issue) but I am not going to always have time to do this multiple times a day over the next 50 years...

Do I need to stop this daily (sometimes 3x's) habit? Again, he will ignore the very same stuff that is GROWING in his enclosure (he does eat it but does not attack it like his piles) making me worry he is going to be hungry even though he has access to fresh goodness all. the. time. I feel like the parent that is making a second dinner for their child who does not want to eat the first one.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Ugh. Nevermind.

I just went to check on the little beast and he was munching away on grass like nothing doing and when he saw me he stopped and quickly ran over to my direction.

I am pretty sure he even sucked his gut in.

I think I am being played like a fiddle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOl! Yup...you're well trained.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Ugh. Nevermind.

I just went to check on the little beast and he was munching away on grass like nothing doing and when he saw me he stopped and quickly ran over to my direction.

I am pretty sure he even sucked his gut in.

I think I am being played like a fiddle.
Oh yeah, he has your number all right.

Not that I'm any better, you've seen how I spoil The Mighty Odin. It's pretty ridiculous.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think he has your number! You don't have to keep doing this for the next 50 years. We moved to our current house when Charlie was about 5 and since that time, he has been happy to graze in our yard and receive only occasional treats.