Help please! (dehydration??)

Chelsey

I was letting my little tort walk around when I noticed this. Is this a sign of dehydration? I currently keep his enclosure at 70% humidity, soak him daily, and he has access to water at all times.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Gritty urates are a bad sign. Soak for 20 to 30 minutes a day. I also spray the food I am feeding with water.

Chelsey

Can I spray the food with tap water, or does it need to be purified? I recently switched his substrate, could that cause this?

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi chelsea. Need a bit more information from you to be able to help. What type of tort do you have? How old is it? What have you been feeding it?what type of substrate are you using?

Chelsey

Hi chelsea. Need a bit more information from you to be able to help. What type of tort do you have? How old is it? What have you been feeding it?what type of substrate are you using?

It's a sulcata, had him for about 3 weeks. He was 4 inches when I bought him, I'm not sure of his age. Spring mix, grass, dandelions, and tortoise diet soaked in water. I'm using coco coir, but I'm going to buy organic top soil and mix it with the coir first thing tomorrow

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Is the substance mixed with the torts pee white or is it yellow? In the pic it looks yellow but im not sure if its just the picture?

Sometimes torts pass urates which are white. It should be toothpaste consistancy and not gritty or lumpy. If it is gritty or lumpy its a sign of dehydration. The food a tort eats can sometimea change the colour of the urates.

Does your tort have access to clean drinking water at all times in its enclosure? Do you soak your tort? If so how often and for how long?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My guess is that your sulcata was kept on the dry side before you got him. Now that it is being kept hydrated it is expelling some gritty urates. With the care you are giving the urates should become less gritty, and even creamy, in the near future.

Chelsey

Is the substance mixed with the torts pee white or is it yellow? In the pic it looks yellow but im not sure if its just the picture?

Sometimes torts pass urates which are white. It should be toothpaste consistancy and not gritty or lumpy. If it is gritty or lumpy its a sign of dehydration. The food a tort eats can sometimea change the colour of the urates.

Does your tort have access to clean drinking water at all times in its enclosure? Do you soak your tort? If so how often and for how long?

Yes, it's mixed. It was actually green. Yes, he gets soaked daily, if not every other day. He usually gets soaked 10 minutes, which I've read to increase to 20-30 minutes.

Chelsey

My guess is that your sulcata was kept on the dry side before you got him. Now that it is being kept hydrated it is expelling some gritty urates. With the care you are giving the urates should become less gritty, and even creamy, in the near future.

Ok. I'm just worried I did something to cause this, and he's not gonna make it. I'm new to being a turtle owner.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Keep up the soaking 20-30 mins. The urates should become less and change consistancy.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Ok. I'm just worried I did something to cause this, and he's not gonna make it. I'm new to being a turtle owner.
I agree here. Your care sounds good. Coco coir is an excellent substrate. I spray my greens with tap water.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
This is the first time this has happened. How long until I'll see a change?
Keep soaking in lukewarm water. Over time they should soften and become less. It just depends how dehydrated. Im not sure about the colouring it could becaused by food he has eaten but i hope someone with more exp chimes in.