Having trouble with my set up

J4cq

Location (City and/or State)
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi, I'm struggling to get my enclosure set up right. I don't seem to be able to get the correct temperature for the basking area and keep the rest of the enclosure at a reasonable temperature. I'm also sure the humidity is wrong too. How long do I have to get this right before the tortoise will suffer?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What are the dimensions of your enclosure? What species and age of tortoise? Do you have pictures, we love pictures around here :) what type of substrate are you using? What kind of lighting for UVB and heat are you using? Sorry for all the questions but we can give more specific answers if we have some more information. and when you mean "right" do you mean your temperatures are too hot or too cold?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
you may need to cover or partially cover the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm struggling to get my enclosure set up right. I don't seem to be able to get the correct temperature for the basking area and keep the rest of the enclosure at a reasonable temperature. I'm also sure the humidity is wrong too. How long do I have to get this right before the tortoise will suffer?

The tortoise will suffer immediately in the wrong conditions. These things should be set up and sorted out before the tortoise ever comes home ideally.

If you answer the questions asked by the posters above, we can help you get things sorted out ASAP for your little tortoise.

J4cq

Wellington, New Zealand
image.jpg image.jpg I have an 8 month greek spur thighed.
The enclosure is 2ft x 3ft.
The substrate is top soil. Which looked ok but now I can't keep it wet enough
Basking area temp is 28-30 Celsius
Background temp is 18-20 Celsius
Humidity is 50-58%
I have a ceramic heat lamp
UV light is reptile one fan heat light.

I read the temps should be higher than what I have but I can't seem to get them higher with the set up I have. My temps have varied from as low as 10 Celsius at night to the whole enclosure being 35 Celsius during the day. The higher the basking area temp the higher the background temp ends up being, which worries me that there is no microclimate.

I had the enclosure set up and it seems to be ok but then the weather changed outside and it knocked everything off inside as the enclosure was near a large window. I have since moved it to another room where there shouldn't be such extremes in temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Top soil is full of sand. Use some garden soil and put it down over a layer of damp orchid bark. The orchid bark will remain moist and it will allow the potting soil to remain dry. This will give you much more humidity through evaporation and will keep your tort from staying wet and getting problems. You want humid. Not wet. You're gonna need to get a cover over a good portion of your enclosure to keep up the humidity. Remember too that UV and UVB can't pass through plastic or glass.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, it needs to be covered somehow. That will maintain warmer temps overall and keep up the humidity. You can use plexiglass, a clear shower curtain, etc.

J4cq

Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks for all the help everyone. I ditched the wooden enclosure and got a terrarium. Temperatures are more stable and the humidity has shot through the roof to 88%. I've just got to make it look a bit prettier and plant some plants.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Thanks for all the help everyone. I ditched the wooden enclosure and got a terrarium. Temperatures are more stable and the humidity has shot through the roof to 88%. I've just got to make it look a bit prettier and plant some plants.

Alarm bells are ringing. Please be careful not to have a see-through terrarium for your tortoise. They will constantly run into the side of the enclosure and be extremely confused and stressed. They do not understand the concept of plastic. If you want to keep the terrarium, please cover the walls to ensure your tortoise does not become stressed and unhappy.