HAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Does any one feed quality hay to torotises, and if so what type?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ascott said:
no...but I have heard that hay is for horses.....so sorry, could not stop myself.....:p
LOL, I should of expected that! :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my tortoises have local timothy hay available at all times. The later cuttings tend to have a higher percentage of clover and other weeds that the tortoises like to pick out. With the exception of Marginated tortoises most Testudo species rarely, if ever consume grass. But they do like to browse through it and pick out the "goodies"!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I feed a lot of hay to my leopards.
We've got horses as well so I get to cherry pick the good portions of the bales.
They seem to really like timothy as was said but also like grassy leaf parts as well.
I make piles of it in their enclosure which they hide under and
then eat their way out.
Horses aren't the only hay burners out there lol.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I keep Timothy hay I get from my local feed store available for my bigger Sulcata, none of the others eat it..

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
My local feed store makes up alfalfa/timothy cubes (about 2" sq) that I soak and feed a couple times a week. 12 percent protein and 30 percent fiber. My big female likes them, and the yearlings will eat a bit.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I buy Timothy hay and orchard grass bales every month..I mix it and use it as a substrate..Tiny my oldest eats it randomly..Tony eats it on occasion..and the young lady.. Won't touch it...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have Alfalfa and winter whey growing in my yard, but I've never tried the dry/hay vertions of either for WalkingRock. He likes it fresh and freshly cut!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thank you, I am going to try something new this year. I will post pictures.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Dried Timothy hay by Kaytee. Also chop it up in Spikes salads so I know he is recieving it into his diet.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
ALDABRAMAN said:
Does any one feed quality hay to torotises, and if so what type?

I bought the Organic Herbal Salad Mix from Carolina Pet Supply. It contains the following -Timothy Hay, lavender flowers, Oat Hay, Red Clover, Strawberry leaf, Chamomile blossoms, Dandelion leaf, Plantain Leaf. I tried it dry the first time and my tort didn't want anything to do with it. I then soaked it in hot water for 15 minutes and mixed it in with fresh grass clippings and rose petals....the tort ate it. You can try that. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always soaked the hay from carolinapetsupply.com in water first, then sprinkle it over fresh greens.

Baby tortoises won't eat hay until they're quite a bit bigger. When "they" tell you to feed hay they are usually talking about feeding bigger tortoises.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
emysemys said:
I have always soaked the hay from carolinapetsupply.com in water first, then sprinkle it over fresh greens.

Baby tortoises won't eat hay until they're quite a bit bigger. When "they" tell you to feed hay they are usually talking about feeding bigger tortoises.

That makes sense!!! I'm new to owning a tortoise so I am still learning what to do and not to do. I will keep that in mind.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
we only feed ours timothy and coastal hay, mostly coastal because it is softer than the bulk timothy. They love alfalfa hay, but the nutritionist says what we use is not the best quality for giant torts, so they don't get this (or very rarely if at all).

mckline

5 Year Member
I feed my sully hay in the winter. I soak it for about 10-15 mins other wise she wont eat it. I also feed her spring mix and if the ground is free of snow I pull her fresh grass. She doesn't like the hay as much as the other stuff but she will eat it. Silly girl!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I feed Timothy hay. I am so glad he likes it because it is hard to keep up now that he is inside!

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Wife said it smells like a zoo in our house. Mainly the living room. And I told her that of coarse and it should because I have a tortoise, 3 mean little monkeys, and a cow. Nah, I did not say cow but I was thinkin it....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.